• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Locker Q

Renklaf

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 00' 4.0, 231, 8.25 rear and I just installed a no-slip but I think i messed up. I installed it and all but now when I push on the gas the jeep pulls to the right. what could be the problem? Cause i'm pretty sure it aint suppose to do that.

Yup,
I have a Detroit locker and the same thing happens. I always warn people about that if I lend them my Jeep. Usually they all say "Don't worry I've driven a Jeep before" and them tell me something is wrong with it when they get back.

Yep, It will cause you to fish tail a little, under hard acceleration. You need to be smooth on & off throttle, if your not, your locker will exploit the fact that you're not a smooth driver, especially thru corners. Also the crown of the road will cause more of an effect, when locked. Be carefull out there, driving a locked vehicle on the street is a different animal, but it can be just as safe, if you know how to anticipate what the locker will do. Enjoy

Rob

The No-Slip is a very smooth autolocker. As you put a few more miles on it, it will break in and that effect will be less noticeable and the locker will quiet down some too.
Enjoy the traction!

Also be aware that it will pull the opposite direction under rapid deceleration,they can get really weird at freeway speeds.Although mine has been a good deal for the moment,thats why I chose an ARB to match the front(lets not do the snow/ice thing).

OK, I gotta chime in here.

if it continually pulls right under accelleration and then pulls left when you let off the gas then yes you did do something wrong. if it pulls for a minute then straightens out then you should be fine.
to test it, find a loose surface like a gravel lot. do a few straight line peel outs then look at your tracks. both tires should have left marks. if its pulling right, then the left/driver side is locking and the passenger side might not be.
did you make sure you had the "gap" in the active spacer on opposing sides. the driver side should be in the back and the pass side should be in the front. this is critical.
did you use the "go-no-go" gage?
did you do the test described in the end of installation?
The no-slip is a great unit. and yes it has some quirkiness. but don't confuse that with it not working right...

Well, I took apart the rear to see whats going on. And I ended up in the emergency room :tear: . It was a noob mistake and I should have known better. I was using a screwdriver to rotate the locker when i should have just rotated the tire. Well the screwdriver slipped and two of my knuckles got shredded by the pinion gear. After that incident and 5 hours in the hospital went back to work and found out the teeth on the right active spacer and syncro broke. Called richmond gear up and the send mail it to them and they will send me a new unit.

I had a similar problem with mine, minus the broken gear and knuckles. I figured mine was caused by having tires that didn't have matching diameters in the back. I had installed it with used tires and couldn't find a set that matched up correctly. Had new tires put on and the problem went away. Just my .02

sounds like you didn't get the right side installed correctly. make sure you mark it so that it helps you line up straight.

sorry bout the e'room. that sucks

Rawbrown said:
OK, I gotta chime in here.

if it continually pulls right under accelleration and then pulls left when you let off the gas then yes you did do something wrong. if it pulls for a minute then straightens out then you should be fine.
to test it, find a loose surface like a gravel lot. do a few straight line peel outs then look at your tracks. both tires should have left marks. if its pulling right, then the left/driver side is locking and the passenger side might not be.
did you make sure you had the "gap" in the active spacer on opposing sides. the driver side should be in the back and the pass side should be in the front. this is critical.
did you use the "go-no-go" gage?
did you do the test described in the end of installation?
The no-slip is a great unit. and yes it has some quirkiness. but don't confuse that with it not working right...
Dug this up from the grave. Could you elaborate on the "gap" in the active spacer and the no-go gage?

paulhead said:
Dug this up from the grave. Could you elaborate on the "gap" in the active spacer and the no-go gage?
right in the center between the left side and right side spacer should be a space. The go/no-go guage is a small block that allows you to determine the size of the space. If there is too much room or not enough something is wrong with the install. If it fits tightly in a particular position then you're all good and the locker should be installed properly and behave properly.

So what are the measurements that have it pass or not? Nothing that came with the instructions, how is it determined?

paulhead said:
So what are the measurements that have it pass or not? Nothing that came with the instructions, how is it determined?
Maybe someone has the checkblock dimensions or you can call the manufacturer and ask them. Then use drill bits of the appropriate size to measure the space.

Back