• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ Proportioning Valve in a non-ABS Brake System

XJWheelie

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a D44 rear end that I'm in the process of putting together I thought that I'd go ahead and put on rear disc brakes while I'm at it. I'm putting it on a 1994 XJ with ABS and I want to completely remove the ABS. From what I've read I might as well put a dual diaphram brake booster on it and change the master cylinder to a non-ABS and the brake proportioning valve to a ZJ valve.

I know that this subject has been covered in the forum, but the question that I've got is one that I can't find an answer to in this forum. If I go to a non-ABS set-up can I still use a ZJ proportioning valve? Was the ZJ ever available with rear disc brakes and a non-ABS brake system? If someone happens to have the part number that would be great.

Robert

I though that the ZJ proportioning was exactly the same as the Xj version? It has the same part number right. Maybe I am missing what you are trying to say though...

bzdel2441 said:
I though that the ZJ proportioning was exactly the same as the Xj version? It has the same part number right. Maybe I am missing what you are trying to say though...
No the common part is the master cylinder. I have done the part number checks and the p/valve is different.
As for your question, all all disk ZJ's have ABS but if you look at my write up you will see it is very easy to change the ABS p/valve to non ABS.

http://go.jeep-xj.info

Gojeep said:
No the common part is the master cylinder. I have done the part number checks and the p/valve is different.
As for your question, all all disk ZJ's have ABS but if you look at my write up you will see it is very easy to change the ABS p/valve to non ABS.

http://go.jeep-xj.info

Thanks, that sounds pretty simple and straight forward. Now if I had to find a machine shop with a CNC machine to build a custom prop valve for me I probably could have figured it out! :rof: :rof: :rof:

On a sidenote, do you know of any write-ups on converting an ABS system to a non-ABS system. The hydraulics are pretty straight forward, but as long as I'm at it I might as well get rid of as much of electronic stuff as I can.

Robert

Back