• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Advice sought.

poomba

NAXJA Forum User
A respected friend is asking if its time for a unibody swap..not sure what that means yet.. at any rate, blew a hole in my block yesterday, and wondering if I should go with a rebuilt, another used, or what. I've got a lot invested into the jeep, like all of us, but it's got 170k miles on it, bought it used, and the kid before, well..trashed it pretty much. Interior is gone, etc. Is it worth sinking more into it, or just bite the bullet, buy a newer one, and see what I can transfer (skids and such) from the old one? Seems like the only thing not new, is the body, engine and tranny. A slight exageration, but truly, I've put about $9k into this pig, and seeing it sit by the side of the road, isn't pleasant.

lets trade places for a minute, and put me in your shoes.

I look in my wallet, then check my bank account-then picture finding an XJ with a decent interior for under $1500. I`d look specificly for one that had bad axles, but i`d go ahead and plan on another motor anyway, preferably one of those $600 sweetys from ebay...and then I`d get to swappin anything that can be unbolted,torched off, ripped off, or unpleasently removed.
Extras go back to ebay to recoup the cost of the swap, and replace funds lost in the original purchase price.

If you dont mind the drive, I know of one here in North Ga thats going for a measly sub $2000 range, if it hasent already sold-and its ready to go-lifted,replaced necessities,fixed problems. It should still be listed over on the clubs website at Southern Jeeps.
http://www.southernjeeps.org/
in the forsale section under 1990XJ 4x4

Jasons Jeep

your bank account/wallet may differ.

as a last resort, it sure wouldnt take much to throw a junkyard/rebuilt/unknowing friends 4.0 inside-lot less than replaceing the entire thing- and you`d be back on the road.

Pick up another motor and save that one for stuff. I did that a year ago and don't regret it for a moment. Mine runs great, just needs bodywork!! Well worth it. So what if you drop $800 or so to put it back on the road. Sure beats hundreds of dollars EACH month for years!!

IMO .. unless you're the original owner, in this case your not, you may want to excercise other options. I've seen numerous later model XJ's on dealer's lots with a fraction of that mileage for under $9K. Used cars are cheap these days due to 0% interest rates and new car incentives ...

Think about what you'll have after you put another grand into a new motor ... the same old XJ with a new motor. I guarantee .. this won't be the end of the mechanical problems or physical needs. In addition, the older your XJ gets the less replacement parts will be available to maintain it ... DC's obsolescence program is slowly killing my '91.

As far as making monthly payments ... you're doing it now, just in periodic lump sums.

Do the math ...

bchulett said:
IMO .. unless you're the original owner, in this case your not, you may want to excercise other options. I've seen numerous later model XJ's on dealer's lots with a fraction of that mileage for under $9K. Used cars are cheap these days due to 0% interest rates and new car incentives ...

Think about what you'll have after you put another grand into a new motor ... the same old XJ with a new motor. I guarantee .. this won't be the end of the mechanical problems or physical needs. In addition, the older your XJ gets the less replacement parts will be available to maintain it ... DC's obsolescence program is slowly killing my '91.

As far as making monthly payments ... you're doing it now, just in periodic lump sums.

Do the math ...
My 91 is paid for and I'm averaging $100 a month for MAINTENANCE (worst month is $700 when I changed the motor) which doesn't include stuff I want to do to it like rust repair etc. I can't buy anything used for $100 a month that's worth driving except a lawn tractor. I guess if you pay people to work on your stuff you might as well get a newer one but it will require repairs also. My total outlay to people in the past 18 months is $200 and half of that was convenience because I didn't have time to change a flexplate. AZ seems to have whatever I need and the salvage yards have the rest since you can use parts from 90+ on lots of stuff. It's a personal decision, want new that you don't have to work on, you pay for it. Willing to work on it pay cash for the thing and maintain it. As for me and mine, I HATE DEBT and would rather maintain than pay the bank for the privilige of driving.
BTW bchulett, I'm not arguing your point, just stating opinions, which are like noses- everyone has one and no one is right every time. Time to go, wife wants to take the jeep to choir practice, have to negitotiate the the terms :D :thumbup:

I have an 88 XJ in Atlanta, you can come get for $3400. It only has 50K on a Jasper engine. 6000lb Ramsey, 2in BB Ranch 9000's. Interior is 9-10. Let me know I'll send you some pics.

I've got a lot invested into the jeep, like all of us, but it's got 170k miles on it, bought it used, and the kid before, well..trashed it pretty much.

My 91 is paid for and I'm averaging $100 a month for MAINTENANCE (worst month is $700 when I changed the motor) which doesn't include stuff I want to do to it like rust repair etc. I can't buy anything used for $100 a month that's worth driving except a lawn tractor.

I've got a lot invested in my '91 too ... over $30K (including the sticker), but I'm the original owner and my XJ is in pristine condition ... and if I'm lucky I could only get $5K for it .. and that's with a new lift. The reason I suggest cutting your losses is due to your description of the vehicle. Why would you want to pour money into an XJ that was either trashed or is a rust bucket ?

Like was said here ... I guess it depends on how much you have in your wallet or bank account. If you can, start with a newer or better maintained XJ so you can enjoy the fruits of your labor ... a broken money pit is not fun.

Good luck.

I like dumping time + money into my rusty piece of crap with no interior. :repair:

I don't feel so bad when I pound the everliving bejeesus out of it on the weekends. :gee:

gupandme said:
I like dumping time + money into my rusty piece of crap with no interior. :repair:

I don't feel so bad when I pound the everliving bejeesus out of it on the weekends. :gee:

Now THERES a thought...its being towed to the shop right now, will do the swap and be in moab in 3 weeks.. Thanks guys, appreciate the input.

Back