• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Taillight wiring issues

Gary E

NAXJA Member #687
So I am wiring up some taillights incandescants. And its not going super smooth. I had to switch the flashers like the LED guys, and everything seems to work now except the Hazards. Do the hazards work for you LED folks?

Basically I ripped out all the old bulbs and what not and wired it directly into a reese taillight converter, and have went out from there to the new taillights.

I guess basically I am asking why my hazards don't work (the fronts work fine, just fast) and how to fix them? The inputs are blinking into the converter box just not out.

I am guessing it has something to do with taking the old bulbs out since the hazards flashed fine before I tore out the old lights.

What year XJ?

Did you try switching the flashers to see if the old 4-way (hazard) flasher isn't up to the new arrangement?

My hazzards work fine but they do flash fast(disco style
grinpimp.gif
).
Do the hazzards work if you swap the flashes back to stock?

Jes

Jes said:
My hazzards work fine but they do flash fast(disco style
grinpimp.gif
).
Do the hazzards work if you swap the flashes back to stock?

Jes

an electronic relay is supposed to cure that.

no first hand experience here, I bought one of those relays to cure my old set-up, never put it in, and one of these days I gotta get lights working again, so we'll see.

its an 87

and neither flasher works. But I have to use the hazard flasher in the blinker spot to get the blinkers and stop lamps to work right.

FarmerMatt said:
You shouldn't need to swap the motors unless you went LED. Are you sure the test lights blinkin on the input side of the converter? Are you using one converter for both sides or 2?

Matt

Yes I checked the the inputs are blinking, and I am using just one converter.

I installed L.E.D. tail lights on my XJ a while back and tried three different converters (two from Reese, and one other brand I don't recall :confused: ) and I couldn't get any of them to work. I finally had to ditch my backup lights and replace them with some separate L.E.D.'s for my turn signals and use the ovals for brake and running lights. Very disapointing! To make matters worse, I just bought a trailer and now I NEED to get it wired for trailer lights and I'm afraid to even try another tailight converter.

Dave :confused:

Back