• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake Lines

Speed_racer

NAXJA Forum User
My jeep is right at/under 6" and at full flex, the brake lines look like they're gonna' pop!

Well, I'm about to convert from short arms to long arms, and go up to an even 8" of lift

So I seriously need to do something about these brake lines.

Does anyone offer a brake line kit for something like this? or do i need to piece things together? what do you recommend?

Rustys has the front and rear stainless break line set for $90, I have them on my lift with long arms and they work fine. RE sells some as well but they seem to be a tad more expensive.

Last edited:
jmop said:
Rustys has the front and rear stainless break line set for $90, I have them on my lift with long arms and they work fine. RE sells some as well but they seem to be a tad more expensive.
how long are the rusty brakelines? RE ones are 18 in the rear and 22 in the front.

I'm sitting at about 8" of lift in the rear, and I'm using Dodge Dakota line for ther rear, and RE stainless lines for the front... Everything seems to work fine.

Speed_racer said:
I searched, but couldnt find things specific for 8" lift

I heard YJ lines are only good up to 6" lift...

Sorry for not searching good enough guys!
don't take me too seriously... i only have 5" and i am just now puttin the yj lines on... i did already relocate the line on the wheelwell a little by re-drilling the bolt hole down an inch or two...
i haven't flexed it real good but will this weekend after i throw the yj lines on
i think re has a short extension for wranglers so i think it would probably work on an xj ... but maybe not

shimmy said:
how long are the rusty brakelines? RE ones are 18 in the rear and 22 in the front.

If my "in the dark with a flashlight" measurments are correct the fronts are around 21" and the back is 24".

RE1513 Brake Line SS Rear YJ/CJ/MJ - Extended rear stainless steel brake line 22" long. This will work fine. the XJ one RE sells is only 18" long.
Juice

Sorry to interupt your post, but when you get longer brake lines dont you have to drain all the brake fluid. Then refill it. Isnt that a huge pain in the butt? or is there an easier way? Thanks.

joecool said:
Sorry to interupt your post, but when you get longer brake lines dont you have to drain all the brake fluid. Then refill it. Isnt that a huge pain in the butt? or is there an easier way? Thanks.

I didn't leave the lines off long enough to drain the system. I just bled the brakes after installing the new lines. no problem

joecool said:

Disconnecting lines on the brake side is ok; disconnecting lines on the master cylinder side causes you lots of work. The little hand vacuum pumps are awesome for bleeding brakes. They are a little bit expensive, $30 - $40, but worth every penny. Speed bleeders are nice too and only about $12 per set (front and rear are different sizes). After I put stainless steel lines and did some master cylinder work I had to bleed the system 3 times to get all of the air out :rolleyes:

Back