• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Poor man's 4:1

macgyvr

NAXJA Member #120
NAXJA Member
I have a 205 and 208 laying in the garage from 78-79 broncos. I have a buddy with the adapter and such to make it a doubled tcase w/poor man's 4:1 for a very inexpensive price. However, nothing is that easy, I want to put that behind the aw-4...and advanced adapters doesnt make an adapter, part of the problem is the output on the aw-4 has a different spline count than the input on the 208 (which is essentially from what i understand the doubler). Anyone have any other suggestions, anyone had thoughts of doing this and researched it much...

I also have two c-6 automatics in the garage but no one makes an adapter to put that tranny behind the 4.0 and i would much prefer to keep the 4.0 motor...

mac 'cheap bastard' gyvr

i think, not positive that the input is 31 or 32....my aw-4 is the 23 variety....

mac 'resplintered' gyvr

As I understand, dodge 203's are 23 spline. I've been thinkin about the 203 bronco 20 route myself. But gotta do my axles first.

If it helps FSJ's had NP208's with 23 spline input. I realize that doesn't use what you have laying around but you could get the input from the FSJ and swap it into the Ford NP208.

Guess i should've just asked this question on POR.... :gee:

mac ' :flipoff2: ' gyvr

OK lets say you did get it to work what about drive shaft length I think it would be to much angle for a standard cv of course I could be wrong and it could work perfect.

azxjman said:
OK lets say you did get it to work what about drive shaft length I think it would be to much angle for a standard cv of course I could be wrong and it could work perfect.

well i haven't really took any measurements but it appears that the doubled 208/205 will be about 6-8 inches longer than the 231, (you only use the front half of the case on the 208) and if it would be a problem, which i dont think it would be, i have no problems moving the rear axle back for a longer wheelbase...

mac 'just got to get it to mate' gyvr

Back