• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

32's or 33's

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK, I'm nearing a time when I will have to put new tires on and I'm trying to decide what to do. My dilemma is as follows: I have stick with 4.11's and currently I run 31's. I'd love to go to 33's but it seems that the opinons are divided about how 33's run with 4.11's (also sometimes even I think that I wouldn't mind 4.56's with my 31's). In any case I ran 33's in Moab for couple days but I didn't run them on the trails that I really would have seen the big difference (those trails I took early in the week) so I can't really base anything on that experience.

Anyways, I know that I want to go to a bigger tire then 31" but I will not have the $$ to do a regear (I know it's not that much but there are other expenses I will have to deal with shortly so regear is out of the question) and I'm flip flopping between 32's and 33's (either tire will fit as I'm lifted enough and trimmed enough and I will be getting new rims in the process).

What do y'all think? :D

I have run 33" with 4:10 for about 3yrs and being happy most of the time. I would go with the 33 tires and worry about regearing later. Hope this helps.

Craig

Handlebars said:
I've had a 5-speed, 4.10's and 33's for about 3 years and done quite a bit of wheeling with them. As long as you don't plan to do the Hammers you will be fine. I DO really regret not going 4.56, although if I have made it this far with them it is not worth changing now.

IIRC you did the Rubicon?? How did it run there? any big complaints or just a careful combination of the skinny pedal and a good line?

OK, I'll pee in the pool... :shhh:
I vote for 32s, and that's what I installed on mine recently.
The "opinion" seems to be that 33s w/4:10s and an auto is BARELY adequate for serious wheeling. (steep climbs and slow crawling)
Also with 32s, I didn't have to do any trimming on the fenders.
I LOVE how 33s look on an XJ, but I'm not ready to cut metal or regear just YET... :eyes:
Edit: I just saw that you have a manual. 33s would be it! :wave:

Well... but.... I'm driving a stick :D In regards to fitting them it's a non issue(plenty room up front and in the back)> The only problems is in the potential gearing performance.

yeah I think most of you aren't realizing he has a stick.

4.10's/33's with a stick it = to 4.56's/33 with AW4.

Remi, 33's are fine with a stick and 4.10. I'm really only going to 4.88 because I thought I had a deal with my neighbor.

On the Con you will stall more than with your 31's and may have to stack some rocks now and then. But I can say I just about did the Con by myself. ZPD and Gary E were there with me, but not always there with me. ;)

Will 32's be any better, or would that extra .5" clearance be an advantage over 33's. It's a toss up, but you'll probably like the 32's better on the road.

I had a set of 32" BFG AT's for sale about a week ago, you should have taken me up on it. They were a good deal for $300, that was with alloy OEM wheels. ;)

What's really throwing a wrench into this is that I'm looking also at it this way: with 32's I get 1150s's while with 33's I get a choice of 950 1050 or 1250, unless I go to 16" rims, but that's a topic for a different discussino.
In any case, I like the idea of 1150 on the width so I'm leaning towards the32's, especially since the extra .5" might not really mean much, although if I take this line then the upgrade from 31's to 32's doesn't mean much unless I look at the width of the tire as well.

In regards to the tires.. well I put so many miles on mine that it's worth it for me to buy them new and get the free rotation and balance and hazard warranty :D

Damn... too many choices and too many things to consider... I need a beer :D

ChuckD said:
Remi, 33's are fine with a stick and 4.10. I'm really only going to 4.88 because I thought I had a deal with my neighbor.

On the Con you will stall more than with your 31's and may have to stack some rocks now and then. But I can say I just about did the Con by myself. ZPD and Gary E were there with me, but not always there with me. ;)

Will 32's be any better, or would that extra .5" clearance be an advantage over 33's. It's a toss up, but you'll probably like the 32's better on the road.

I had a set of 32" BFG AT's for sale about a week ago, you should have taken me up on it. They were a good deal for $300, that was with alloy OEM wheels. ;)

I went from 31's to 32's and then to 33's, all on the same gears (4.56 w/auto). I would run a 33x10.5 before I'd run 32's. You will notice virtually no difference in gearing between the tires, and the 33x10.5's on 7" rims will actually stuff nicer than 32x11.5 on 8" rims. I'd want less backspacing than stock, though, with 4.5" max.

There are lots of good options in 33x10.5 out there...good tire to run before you get really serious and move up to 35's :D .

Nay

ChuckD said:

;)

Careful there Chuck, D30 + 4.88 = :repair:

Erik said:

I dunno, how often has Porch Puppy had issues with that setup?

Remi, just get some 33X12.50s and be done with it. No the gearing won't be optimal but it won't be bad either.

Jes

Erik said:

Is a 4.88 in a Dana 30 really that bad? I'm not trying to hijack the thread with a gear debate, but I was looking at 33s with an automatic and either 4.56 or 4.88 gears. I'd just about decided on the 4.88s, but now I'm debating again.

Back to 33s and 32s, there's also a 33x13.5 Super Swamper LTB. Has anyone tried this tire?

If it's that tough of a question, go bigger. Otherwise you'll regret it when you get the itch.

Do you realize how little the size difference will make in your RPM's? You won't notice the difference!

I didn't read this whole thread...

If you really think that you'll feel too undergeared with 4.10's and 33's why don't you look around for some good used 31's to get you by until you can afford to go both 33's and gears? Trust me, you can find good deals on tires that are mounted to wheels :D

GSequoia said:
I didn't read this whole thread...

If you really think that you'll feel too undergeared with 4.10's and 33's why don't you look around for some good used 31's to get you by until you can afford to go both 33's and gears? Trust me, you can find good deals on tires that are mounted to wheels :D

LOL... what... you're selling yours?
Anyways I'm still thinking and I'm still evenly divided when it comes to both options.

Back