• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best tire for rocks and trails, not mud

whats the best tire for a DD, and trail ready XJ

• goodyear MTR

Votes: 137 48.9%
  • BFG mud terrain

Votes: 74 26.4%
  • Xtreme pro comp

Votes: 11 3.9%
  • super swamper SSR

Votes: 15 5.4%
  • super swamper tsl

Votes: 30 10.7%
  • mickey thompson baja claw RADIAL

Votes: 13 4.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's an easy one.........Goodyear MTR....

I HATE MY MTR'S so I am going to say BFG Crawler even though I have never seen them on the trail everyone else says what they hear so why cant I.

Might it be a bit too sloppy in WA for the mtr to really be a great tire?

Hard to beat a swamper for anything messy. I run the SSR's on my DD...good all around tire I think.

Pat

If you are running the same trails I do here in the NorthWest, then you usually hit some mud or clay about anywhere you go (unless it's very dry). MT/Rs don't really self-clean that well, especially in the stickier stuff like the clay we run into. They are a great trail and rock tire IMHO, and I have 5 brand new 35" MT/Rs that are going on my XJ when the axles are done. However, if I were to do it again, I'd go IROK or Krawler, but that's cause mine's not a DD.

For DD use on a trail ready rig, you can't go wrong with the old standbys, the MT/R and BFG Mud. I do love the PJ Dirt Grips cause they are very sticky and tough, but spendy. The Trxus is supposed to be a pretty good tire, and has a very nice price tag to go with it. Depending on how quick you need tires, you might want to watch these two new tires for different size availability: Nitto Mud Grappler, and Maxxis Creepy Crawler. Currently, I think, they are only available in 37" and larger flavors, but they both seem to be getting pretty good reviews.

Steve

I used to tear a tire every other trail, I have probably done 20+ trails on my MTRs without a single leaky tire, I'm a beleiver!

Phil Weeks said:
Hmm, which tires were the tire of choice for BOTW? MT/Rs, right? And the WCGIC all run MT/Rs, don't they?

now i wasn't there, but in the pics those BOTW trails don't look very sloppy to me...

Pat

All I saw were pictures, but I agree. However, he was asking for rocks and trails. I see that he is in Washington, though.

Phil Weeks said:
All I saw were pictures, but I agree. However, he was asking for rocks and trails. I see that he is in Washington, though.

yeah i run MTR's right now, and they seem not very sticky at all. on slick rock, they slide right off... i've also ran SSR's but just feel like they're not as good on the rocks up here. i know a lot of locals run BFG's, whats the rep on those?

brandon

From what I've seen, the newer BFG MT-whatever's work well. I have also heard all the complaints about MT/R's as well. Stay away from the Xterrains though. I would look into some good old TSL's though, work well anywhere, anytime.

forgot to mention this earlier, but i ran into a guy with an old 76' bronco today. he had some thornbirds on. i asked him what he thought of them, and he said they were great and even wore well. my impression was that they sucked as@#$.

shimmy said:
yeah i run MTR's right now, and they seem not very sticky at all. on slick rock, they slide right off... i've also ran SSR's but just feel like they're not as good on the rocks up here. i know a lot of locals run BFG's, whats the rep on those?

brandon

I would take a hard look at the trxus MT for a mud/rock tire. Just about everybody who is running dry rock in the Southwest seems to have MT/R's these days, but that is a dry environment. The trxus MT have enough siping to make them absolutely kick ass in the snow, both deep and packed/icy, but not enough to really destroy the treads. This should help in the wet. They are good in the rocks. Maybe not MT/R level, but good.

Seem to be a tough enough tire, and they are as quiet as an AT on the road. Definitely should be on your short list for a daily driver.

Nay

I didn't vote because I choose the new Iroks, I have the MTR's right now and am not happy with there performance up here. I need something that will do well in all types of terrian and the MTR's just don't grip on slick rocks and don't clean themselves in the sloppy stuff. They are however very good tire for winter driving here where we have snow and ice on the roads for half the year or more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back