• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Over-Boosted Power Steering

4xBob

NAXJA Forum User
My 1990 XJ has power steering that is too easy to turn, doesn't give confidence at highway speeds. I know this was fixed (boost reduced) by 1996. For those of us with the earlier steering, how about this adjustable steering valve (see link) for a solution? Wreckers around here would charge me a lot for a 1996 steering gear- and I think there were some fitting changes (metric vs. inch) somewhere in there. This might be simpler. Anybody used one? 4xBob

http://www.heidts.com/images/art1.pdf

4xBob said:
My 1990 XJ has power steering that is too easy to turn, doesn't give confidence at highway speeds. I know this was fixed (boost reduced) by 1996. For those of us with the earlier steering, how about this adjustable steering valve (see link) for a solution? Wreckers around here would charge me a lot for a 1996 steering gear- and I think there were some fitting changes (metric vs. inch) somewhere in there. This might be simpler. Anybody used one? 4xBob

http://www.heidts.com/images/art1.pdf
Don't know if your XJ is lifted or not....but if it is and there is to much positive caster( the front axle pinion is tilted up to much) it will cause it to steer like a fork lift, way to easy. It will also cause it to have very sensitive steering as well(darting around). maybe this helps...maybe not...just my .02

AMC historically always used way too much boost in their power steering. My '88 has far too much boost, and I'm sure the 90 model year is the same because Chrysler hadn't made many changes. They were gearing up for the series of changes that took effect in '91. Steering geometry and alignment are probably not the cause.

I haven't heard of this little gem but it looks like it sould be the answer -- any idea what the price is? If it's cheap I'd be tempted to try one.

http://www.heidts.com/heip27.htm

$79 for the valve itself, installation kit (which probably has too many parts...) for $49.

The Metric Saginaw setup used on the XJ is readily adaptable to -6AN fittings and hose - the M16x1.25 and M18x1.25 o-ring fitting to -6AN adapter is a pretty standard fluid power part (I got mine from Parker-Hannifin as steel industrial fittings, but they can also be had from Earl's, Aeroquip, or anyone else in the aftermarket...) and the pressure line needs to be modified. I don't have pix, but anyone with a digicam is welcome to hook up with me after I modify another piece for the next installation. I haven't worked out all the details for the return line fitment to the pump reservoir, I'll get to that later.

Given that this probably has NPT fittings on the valve housing, getting those for -6AN is simplicity itself, and the whole thing can be done rather simply. I'd probably get the individual parts I needed to save dosh, since I've got enough junk boxes around (according to my wife...)

5-90

Back