• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlight relay harness problems....

ChuckstrPT

NAXJA Member #791
So, I get my relay harness from IPF/ARB, fish all the wires around the engine compartment, and out to the headlights....and before buttoning it all back up, I plug it all in, JUST TO SEE IF IT WORKS.....and what do you know!
1- the normal headlight position gives me HIGH beams
2- dip to High beam position, and I get LOW beams??? and then the Highs won't come on at all
3- If I dip switch to high, and turn on, I get low beams???????

If you were following along recently, I discovered when changing out the headlights, that I got Passenger side High with Drivers Low in the normal low beam switch position........and vice versa when dipped to High beams. So... I switched the 2 side contacts at the passenger side headlight and got 2 low beams and 2 High beams. Thought I had fixed someone elses error (the passenger side plug was obviously not OEM. It had been rewired before I got the truck).

Now, I'm wondering what is up???? I pulled apart the 2 side contacts in the passenger side plug, and switched them around, and it didn't seem to change anything.
HELP :dunno:

The wire on top of the plug is the lows. At least it is on my '00. I just put in the Painless H4 harness and had to change the wire over for my IPF 868's to work on low beam. The wire connected to the top wire (purple on the factory wiring) to make them go on with the lows. The Painless was almost a plug and play. Hope this helps ya. Check to make sure both top wires are purple from the factory. That is where I would start.

Urban Redneck said:
The wire on top of the plug is the lows. At least it is on my '00. I just put in the Painless H4 harness and had to change the wire over for my IPF 868's to work on low beam. The wire connected to the top wire (purple on the factory wiring) to make them go on with the lows. The Painless was almost a plug and play. Hope this helps ya. Check to make sure both top wires are purple from the factory. That is where I would start.
You sure the TOP WIRE IN THE PLUG is low beam???? I was just out there with my multimeter, and I think it's the ground?????
When I have it wired/plugged the way I think it should work, I get low lights with switch in the Highbeam position, and High beams ONLY when turned on with switch in the low position???? and then I can't get the High back on once switched to low on the lights.......????

Urban Redneck said:
Dude..........You Da Man! :woohoo: So, I take the contact that is in my lower position, and plug it in on the Right position..........and Whamo! It works...and now my friggin fogs work as advertised :clap: ......I'd like to me the putz that rewired the passenger side headlight plug....... :eek:
Thanks!

ChuckstrPT said:
Dude..........You Da Man! :woohoo: So, I take the contact that is in my lower position, and plug it in on the Right position..........and Whamo! It works...and now my friggin fogs work as advertised :clap: ......I'd like to me the putz that rewired the passenger side headlight plug....... :eek:
Thanks!
Not a problem, that is what we are here for! :D

ChuckstrPT said:
You sure the TOP WIRE IN THE PLUG is low beam???? I was just out there with my multimeter, and I think it's the ground?????
When I have it wired/plugged the way I think it should work, I get low lights with switch in the Highbeam position, and High beams ONLY when turned on with switch in the low position???? and then I can't get the High back on once switched to low on the lights.......????

This is from the 2000FSM, but the 2001 is probably the same.

Ground for headlights on both sides is black.

Right side low beam = violet w/ red trace
Right side high beam = red w/ orange trace

Left side low beam = violet
Left side high beam = red

Thanks guys! We got low beams when we are supposed to, and Highs when we want them...AND the fogs work as they are supposed to. Hey, I guess I can just throw out that rubber welcome mat someone left attached to the front of the truck under the engine...it was kinda in the way. Came out easy enough, and fit well in my trash can!
Thanks again!

ChuckstrPT said:
Thanks guys! We got low beams when we are supposed to, and Highs when we want them...AND the fogs work as they are supposed to. Hey, I guess I can just throw out that rubber welcome mat someone left attached to the front of the truck under the engine...it was kinda in the way. Came out easy enough, and fit well in my trash can!
Thanks again!

Unless you trashed it during removal, you can just send that rubber spalsh shield to me. I'll find a home for it.

Seriously. Please PM me if it's not already gone.

Back