• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 9" HP 3rd member ???

Danno

NAXJA Forum User
is the Ford 9" HP a c-clip design or not? How are the axles held into the housing? I have a Currie HP 3rd member with ARB and I'm trying to figure out an axle setup. I'm just not experienced with the 9".
Also, are the Dana 44's you see in front axle setups c-clip retained?
Thanks, Danno

9"ers are not c-clip. They are a semi-floater design. The bearings are pressed onto the axleshaft and held in by the bolts thru the flange on the end of the axle housing. This is why if your bearings die, the axle shaft can work its way out of the housing.

Jared:patriot:

You should be able to run the Currie HP 9" with any 9" housing. If you want a custom housing, just call Currie. They aren't expensive.

No c-clips, as stated above.

Nay

Since the Currie 9" is suppose to actually be a Ford 8.8, and since you're talking about a front axle, I'd double check to be sure.

Yeah it fits in any 9" housing. I got a new Currie HP fullwidth 9" forsale

MaXJohnson said:
Since the Currie 9" is suppose to actually be a Ford 8.8, and since you're talking about a front axle, I'd double check to be sure.

The only 8.8 parts a Currie Hi9 uses are the ring and pinion. ALL other parts are 9" parts, including carriers.

C-clips are never used in any non-disconnect front axle.

CRASH

aslo, I have never heard about or seen a SF 9" axle back out of a housing. There are bearing retainer plates between the flange and the bearing to hold these on. Wait, are we talking a front application??? Then your outers will hold the axle in place.

SeanP

What are you planning to do with this? 9" inners with Dana outers along the lines of the Sunray axles?

Nay

SeanP said:
aslo, I have never heard about or seen a SF 9" axle back out of a housing. There are bearing retainer plates between the flange and the bearing to hold these on. Wait, are we talking a front application??? Then your outers will hold the axle in place.

SeanP

I've seen it, but it only USUALLY happens when you cook a bearing and it self-destructs. That heats up the retainer and it can slip off of the shaft.

CRASH

Back