• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sound dampening

xjpsych

NAXJA Member #657
has anyone used sound dampening materials like dynamat etc to reduce the noise level in their XJ? I am thinking of trying it and am looking for experience and advice.

dynamat seems way overpriced, check McMasterCarr(.com) for some different stuff. Go to the "raw materials" section, then "sound absorbers"

i've been looking at part number "9545T1" on their site, it's a liquid and seems like it would be a good substitute for bedliner for the interior of my truck. Anyone used it?

Sound deadening material? For what? Just put 4 12" subs and that will deaden the other sounds. :D Or Just get used to saying "What!?"

Ok ok. Maybe this could work?? Just an idea. Stuff House insulation in all those little crevaces behind all the paneling, then bedline the interior and put carpet over it! Yes?

MATT

a good thick coat of rockerguard in the door panels and rear panels and on the floor works well. spray cans available anywhere. or you could just strip the interior and spray all panels with bedliner, like i'm working on.

bedliner doesn't really dampen sound. if the liner is solid, rock hard, then the sound will just vibrate through it. the way sound dampening works is by absorbing the wavelengths. sort of like springs (if i am correct). stiff springs (bed liner) transfer the bumps to the vehicle while softer springs (dynamat material) absorb the tribulations of the driving surface.

anything that adds density will dampen the sound. The rockerguard works, I know that because I've used it. Definitely not as well as Dynamat or Brownbread, but it's also a lot cheaper.

I use a product called Quietcoat on the inside of the steel case of an Audio product I make to dampen vibration and sound. It sprays on, like a thick paint (you can also brush it on if you don't have the right spray gun) - It is sort of a rockerguard consistancy but formulated specifically for noise and vibration damping.

It's been fairly effective when I coated the floor of a couple of vehicles. When I do my passenger side floor pan in the XJ this spring, I will be coating the whole interior front to back before putting the rug back down.

Makes a big improvement in damping road and driveline noise inside the cab.

I would think it would help protect against rust, too.

I used Hushmat inside the two front doors, inside the hatch, the rear quarters, and the entire roof. Quieted it down and made the stereo sound 2x better at 1/2 the volume. Hopefully I can do the floor and inside of the hood next. I also pulled the headliner out, reattached the fabric to it so it would quit flapping in the wind, and put it all back together.

Last edited:
When I had my dash, seats and carpeting out (replaced the heater core and evaporator) I applied some foil backed foam insulation (for house ducts) on the floor and hump. It seems like worked to dampen road and driveline noise a little bit. It's ~14" wide and ~1/4" thick and comes on a roll (Home Depot) and was fairly cheap. Would I recommend going through all that work for the slight improvement? No.

Funny subject.., lol.., 'to each his own.., I guess, lol. Anyways, I wish you the best in your project. Me.., well I took out every bit of insulation, except for the area between driver's side, and passenger's side.., just to maintain insulation to protect the cold from migrating up through the boots into the feet during the winters!! Otherwise, I want to hear any squeeks, whirrs, tappets, chirps, etc., in order to gain the advantage of time to fix the problem before something goes up to XJ Heaven, leaving me in XJ Hell.

Back