• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

29 spline vs. 27 spline 8.25

bbell90xj

NAXJA Member #1105
I have been given a Powertrax 8.25 that is for a 29 spline 8.25. My xj has a 27 spline out of a 93. My question is should I regear mine to 29. or just buy a new powertrax to fit mine. I can put the powertrax in myself but I don't think I could regear it. His rearend has some noise in it or I would think about swapping rearends.

You won't have to regear, just use 29 spline shafts with the locker you have and your existing housing geared as it is.

Thanks

Lawn Cher' said:
You won't have to regear, just use 29 spline shafts with the locker you have and your existing housing geared as it is.

Also count on grinding the c-clips down a bit to fit in the recesses of the couplers; the ring gear side just needs the outer diameter ground down to fit, but the passenger side c-clip has to go through slots in the coupler & syncro paddle (on the No-Slip, anyway) so it'll need a little more ground off of the sides adjacent to the opening to fit through the smaller slot in the paddle. I just put one in mine & I never saw anything about needing to do the grinding thing, so I figured I'd mention it. It's no big deal; thirty minutes max on the grinder, taking care to keep the c-clips from getting hot by dunking them in ATF to cool off while grinding.

Have fun!

!!!!!!THE CARRIERS ARE DIFFERENT!!!!!!!
A 27 spline carrier WILL NOT accept a 29 spline lockright or no slip. Period. The 29 spline side gears have a larger diameter than the 27. If you want to use 29 spline parts you will have to get new shafts, find a 29 spline carrier and reset your gears. I had to learn this the hard way amongst a huge pile of 8.25 parts that did not interchange.

I have got his carrier and everything but it seems I am going to be out the same amount of cash if I have to rear gear it as I would just buying a new Powertrax. I have found someone to do the gears they charge $200.00 labor this doesn't include the gears. I use my jeep mainly for hunting not a hardcore offroader Is the 29 spline that much better for me?

The 27 spline axle is pretty strong as is. I wouldn't worry about breaking it. I have a 27 spline lockright for sale if you need it.

There are no gears to re-set,just the backlash and since that is done with the spanner nut and not shims!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lucas said:
!!!!!!THE CARRIERS ARE DIFFERENT!!!!!!!
A 27 spline carrier WILL NOT accept a 29 spline lockright or no slip. Period. The 29 spline side gears have a larger diameter than the 27. If you want to use 29 spline parts you will have to get new shafts, find a 29 spline carrier and reset your gears. I had to learn this the hard way amongst a huge pile of 8.25 parts that did not interchange.

I don't know about the 27 spline carrier, but the 29 spline Trac-Lok case will take the 27 parts no problem. The first No-Slip that I received had a 29 spline and a 27 spline coupler and they were the same other than the internal diameter (1.190" for the 27, 1.277" for the 29)across the splines. I found that out as I was installing the thing; had even pulled one of the couplers out of the box when I received it and tried the fit on one of the axles to make sure it was the right part. I lucked out & picked the 29 spline coupler out of the box and it fit my axle; should've tried them both! Not only did I get it to fit the first try, I got the right one to install into my Trac-Lok carrier and had it in before trying to install the 27 spline coupler. :banghead:

It fit inside the case just fine, no problems for fitting a 27 spline coupler into a 29 spline case other than the 29 spline axle not going into it. Another few days waiting for the right part to arrive and then came the fun with the c-clips; it'sgood to finally have it installed and all of the surprises over with! :D

If you want to sell that 29 spline no slip locker to me I might buy it. Give me a pm if you would like to sell it.----Kyle

Back