• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX15 Tranny Woes

JKTXJ

NAXJA Forum User
OK, I have been fighting tranny trouble for awhile now.. need to get this fixed. I have a 94 with the 4.0 and AX15 (5 speed manual). Unless I double clutch, it grinds when upshifting to 2nd and 3rd. NEVER downshifting, only upshifting. Every bad syncro I have ever had in a car/truck affected both, and usually downshifting even more, so this has me perplexed. In addition, it seems as if the clutch is not ever fully disengaging. If I start it up and put it in first (clutch all the way in), I can hear and feel the driveshaft take up the slop in the drivetrain (audible "clunk"). Also, since I have a Lockright in the rear, I really notice the locker when pulling into a parking space even when I have the clutch all the way in. It will bang like crazy. If I pop it into neutral though, just the normal "click, click, click, click." Tranny experts help, this is getting old! Is it a clutch issue (hopefully)? I had the clutch done 2 years ago by some shop which is now out of business.... and I don't wonder why either :flamemad:
Thanks,
JP

Since reverse is non-sychro, a clutch disengagement problem will usually show its ugly face when trying to engage reverse from neutral with some very noticable grinding noises.

The fluid is good, not very old actually. Miles on clutch are about 60k now.. This clutch has about 5 Moab trips on it as well as a Rubicon run and many local runs. My gearing isn't optimal so the clutch does get some usage on hard trails. I am not a tranny guru by any means, but I have replaced a clutch or two. I am thinking about putting a Centerforce in and hopefully fixing the problem, but I am worried it may still be there afterwards and require some tranny repairs. All input/ideas are appreciated!!

Thanks,
JP

i think it may be a pilot bearing i have the same or close to the same problem and i didnt grease the pilot bearing and its the best i can come up with

Back