• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LockRight:Dana 30 vs. Dana 35

ShipleyCSA

NAXJA Forum User
Planning on finding a lockright at a good price, but don't know whether I want to buy one for the front Dana 30 or the rear Dana 35 on my 90' XJ? Does anyone have any personnal experience/knowledge they could share with me? Thanks,
-John
P.S. I put more miles on road than off, so dont want to affect anything too much.

My vote for the 30 because you won't feel it on the road whereas you would in the 35, and if it were mine I'd be getting rid of the 35 before the 30 sometime in the future.

xj92 said:
My vote for the 30 because you won't feel it on the road whereas you would in the 35, and if it were mine I'd be getting rid of the 35 before the 30 sometime in the future.

I agree, don't put any $ in the dana 35, get a ford 8.8 and gear & lock it. Then you have something to work with plus they are everywhere.

xj92 said:

is this the reason for people buying a no-slip in the rear and lockrite in the front? i don't know too much about lockers...sorry sometimes i feel like its cheating, but then again succeeding is much more important!

Not sure what you're asking specifically, but automatic lockers only lock up when torque is applied from the yoke. So when you're in 2wd your front locker will always be disengaged and you won't notice it's there. If you put an automatic locker in the rear you'll have to adjust your driving style a little and you'll definitely feel it around town.

xj92 said:
Not sure what you're asking specifically, but automatic lockers only lock up when torque is applied from the yoke. So when you're in 2wd your front locker will always be disengaged and you won't notice it's there. If you put an automatic locker in the rear you'll have to adjust your driving style a little and you'll definitely feel it around town.

gotcha, for some reason i was under the impression that if you installed a front locker, you would always feel it unless you had a selectable or manual hubs...

get a front locker just cause I said so. No but really I got one in the rear and it is awsome I really want one in the front too but no cash. Either way you will know the difference when you get off road. And having one axle locked is better than none. that and you wont notice it in 2wd

I was also under the impression that unless I had locking hubs on the front D30, the auto locker would act the same as the rear, if not worse,..engaging and disengaging repeatably on ever curve while in 2x2.
Im not worried about how its going to sound offroad, but on-road is my concern.

Go front not rear if you have a D35. I have a D35 locked with a lock right and broke a shaft. I am hard on the goooo pedal but its only a 2.5L! I just got my front in the mail today too, so I'll let you know how it feels next week.

ShipleyCSA said:
I was also under the impression that unless I had locking hubs on the front D30, the auto locker would act the same as the rear, if not worse,..engaging and disengaging repeatably on ever curve while in 2x2.
Im not worried about how its going to sound offroad, but on-road is my concern.

the autolockers only fully lock when there is torque through it. in 2wd there will be no power to the front axle. The lockrite will be able to lock and unlock freely. If you were spooled in front then it would be worse on road but what you want is a positive automatic locker.

Ghost how big of tires are you running? I romp on the gas everywhere but am only running 235s haven't broken a shaft yet. Everyone tells me I am going to though :D

Inisadow said:
Ghost how big of tires are you running? I romp on the gas everywhere but am only running 235s haven't broken a shaft yet. Everyone tells me I am going to though :D

33 x 12.50 Cooper STT I love the tires so far. Hell see my thread in Non-tech, I lost the rear shaft last weekend in a mud bog!

i know this has been debated before but IIRC (and this may or may not apply to this thread) but if you have the NP-242 full-time t/case you shouldn't lock the front.. at least if you intend to use the full-time selection.... it has to do with the lock-right spinning the front d/shaft when in 2wd.. and how the t/case would react to that when running in the full-time mode.... other than that i say lock the front!!!

mike

When people say that auto lockers only lock when torque is applied, I think that is a bit incorrect. They naturally stay locked, and will unlock in turns when little or no torque is applied.

I have an 89 with the 242 t-case, a Lock Right in the front D30 and a Lock Right in the rear D35. I wasn't going to lock the rear, but I bought the pair of lockers for $250, so I figured why not.
I put the rear in first and it performs as expected. I do hear it ratchet, but it's not bad. I also notice my tires sliding across the pavement occasionally, but, again...I expected that.

I have the non-disco front end and I do notice that it is there, particularly in parking lots. When backing out of/pulling into parking spots, a front tire will slide around a bit, and I can definitely feel it, especially at full lock. It basically acts just like the rear. I don't have a problem with it, but I can definitely tell it's there.

I was just saying that if there is torque going to the wheels it wont unlock

I've got a Detroit soft locker in the front and don't hear it or notice it at all in 2wd. And I'm not one of those "just turn the radio up if the tires hum" guys.

Back