• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Non C clip Tone Rings

shapps13

NAXJA Forum User
Just thought I would share a little changeover with everyone. I bought a pair of axles for my 95 a while back and have now got the rear done ,its a 35 non c-clip w 4:10's. The Jeep is a daily driver for my wife,31" tires and a 5 spd 4.0 and ABS. When I decided to change the rears she said I couldn't do it if I had to remove the ABS. So I searched some and did some trial measuring and bought some spare C-clip axles for the tone rings and measured some more. Here's what I came up with. I was able to press off the tone rings without too much trouble, the I.D. measured 1.707. Took the bearings and all off the non C-clip and the shaft dia. measured 1.689. Thought I was screwed and would have to bore out the tone ring and make a sleeve to fit the shaft and the new I.D. of the tone ring. I just happened to have some .010 thick brass shim stock in my tool box, gives about .002 press fit if I wrap it around the shaft. Put the tone rings on my wood burner to heat them up and tapped them onto the shaft with shim stock wrapped around it. PRESTO I now have ABS equipped non C-clip axles. I checked and double checked the clearances for the backing plates and all the brake hardware and it looks good. All that needs to be done is to mount the sensor to the backing plate and the ABS is operational. I figure that there is no stress on the tone ring so there is no chance of movement and the only part that I had to remove is the dust shield that bolts on with the axle retainer .
Now the wife will be happy and I get my 4:10's.
Bill

Back