• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lock-Right?

ChuckD

NAXJA Forum User
I just sold my old 87' D35 to a buddy of mine. I has a lock-right and I would say it has about 40-50k on it.

He is getting a major clunk when he shifts in to Drive or Reverse. It's coming from the Differential, where the driveshaft turns about a quarter turn before it engages the wheels. So when he has his foot on the brake and then shifts, the driveshafts rotates and then bang.

I have a MT, and I know the differenial has always been like this. I never really had an issue with it, maybe because of the clutch.

Otherwise the locker seems to be operating normally, unlocks and clicks around every turn. Of course now and then it skips teeth and bangs a bit. We looked at the teeth and they look like new.

If there is somethnig wrong with it. What could it be, Thrush washers, springs and pins, cross-shaft? Any help or reassurance would be appreciated.

when i installed my lock-right, the instructions did say that you would experience a certain amount of back lash. that was a year ago and yes it was very noticeable........just last month i had new gears installed "professionally"
and the back lash feels just the same.

if it was just a straight axle swap, i'd say you shouldn't worry.
if you feel it is just excessively loud or excessive in movement it could be the pinion bearing and or the crush sleeve. it would hurt to try and replace the crush sleeve "meaning reset the pinion preload"......but crushing that little sleeve can be a pain in the a$$.

hope some of this help :)
good luck

That's exactly what I was looking for. The pinion feels tight, no horizontal or lateral movement. I also don't want to mess setting up the preload on that axle, :puke:

I think he is kinda new to these modifications and that with each modification there is a trade off. So he is very gun-shy and I wish I could get him on :NAXJA: , then he can learn stuff for himself!

ChuckD said:
with each modification there is a trade off.

when i started on my cherokee it was a very nice daily driver, never any problems...........now.........my wife won't even go near it. it rides and sound like an old buck board wagon. but with every new mod I'm just as paranoid.....i got like 9" of lift and i'm still asking people to watch my drive line so i don't hit it.......and they just laugh.

Back