• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Harbour Freight winch vs. Ramsey REP8000

BLKXJ33

NAXJA Forum User
What do you guys think--only difference i see is gear reduction and motor size. Which would explain the slower line speed...but for the price i will wait 2-3 more minutes..anyone tried harbour frieght's?

***RAMSEY REP 8000***
FEATURES
Proven 3-stage planetary gear system for fast line speed
Motor and solenoids are grounded directly to battery
Strong automatic load-holding brake for strength
Cam action clutch disengages planetary gear system for free spooling
Weather resistant solenoid assembly
12 ft. wire pendant remote
6 ft. (1.83 m) 2 gauge battery cables with connectors
4-way roller fairlead
Limited lifetime warranty
Made in the USA

SPECIFICATIONS
Rated line pull (single line) 8,000 lbs. (3,620 kgs)
Gear reduction ratio 126:1 (12V) - 150:1 (24V)
Motor Series wound - 3.8 hp (12V) - Permanent magnet 2.6 hp (24V)DC
Overall dimensions (LxWxH) 21.38" x 6.00" x 6.38" (530 mm x 152 mm x 162 mm)
Drum size Diameter 2.5" (63 mm) Length 9" (228 mm)
Weight REP 8000H - 75 lbs. (34kgs) -------REP 8000R - 75 lbs. (34kgs)
Cable supplied 95ft. (29 m) of 5/16" (8 mm) galvanized aircraft cable with replaceable clevis hook
Mounting Bolt Pattern 10.00± .015 IN X 4.50± .015 IN (254.0 x 114.3 mm)

Note: 24V models have different dimensions. Consult factory.

Line Speed & Amp Draw - First Layer
Line lbs.
NO 2,000 4,000 6,000 8,000
Pull kgs
LOAD 900 1,810 2,720 3,620

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
***HARBOUR FREIGHT***
1.8 HORSEPOWER
Planetary gearing for fast line speed and sure hold. Freespooling. Three-stage system with automatic load-holding brake.
Power in, power out
Remote hand control switch with 12 ft. cord
Fairlead: 11-3/4''L x 3-5/16''W x 1'' deep
Line speed (in feet per minute): 13 (no load), 11 (2000 lbs.), 6 (6000 lbs.), 4.5 (8000 lbs.)
12 volts, 1.8 HP, 37.5 amp draw; Drum diameter: 2.5''; Gear ratio: 210:1; Cable: 5/16’’ x 95 ft.; Overall dimensions: 20-11/16''L x 3-1/8''W x 6-15/16''H; Bolt pattern: 10’’ x 4.5’’; Weight: 60 lbs.

You get what you pay for.
Buy one winch and be done - buy a WARN!

Harbour Freight is a garbage company, just try a reach their customer service department and if you do you'll be lucky if they can speak english so you can understand them. If you do manage to get past these hurdles you'll be lucky if you ever get any problems resolved with their products. I used them for quite a bit of tool replacement on an insurance claim I had several years ago-never again.
:soapbox:

I second what Armstrong says, buy the Warn. Great product, time tested, excellent product service, and they are still made in the good ol' USA. Good Luck.

Woody

Go Warn. I went through 3 MileMarker E8000's when they first came out. They supplied by some 3rd world country to MM. I spent over 10 hours installing/uninstalling, testing, etc. I sold the last MM winch on eBay and spent the extra $100 and bought a Warn. Never had a problem since. There are other posts on the harbour freight winches, too. I think the name "Harbour Freight" tells you right there that it's 3rd world sweat shop junk.

I actually am consdering the HF to mount on my trailer (which is currenlty on Best of The West III without me :( ). I would never, however, deviate from Warn when it comes to the front of the heep. Go 8274 if you can afford it.

SeanP

I will share my take in this as i just bought the Ramsey Rep8.5e.

The MM8000 and the HF8000 as the same thing and both made in China. (says it right in the box.

The Ramsey's are all made in the USA and have a better warrently on them which was one of the desiding factors in my purchase.

The Rep8000 is a series would motor and series wound motors are said withstand much more use as well as put out more HP.

The Rep8000e as you see advertized is a perminent magnet type motor and has 1.6HP. It is probably compairable to the MM and HF although again the warrenty is better.

The new Rep8.5e from what i understand replaces the 8000e and has a 2.5hp perminent magnet motor. It also has an integrated heat sink on the motor. Buring up motor i understand is common on the MM and HF as people use them for other then intended which is moderate and short pul time use.

IMO. the Rep 8.5e was an excellent buy for me because of price, built in USA, has a much better warrenty and is good for what i intend to use it for which is moderate off road use to get unstuck. I am not a professional rock crawler and would not expect this thing to challenge some of the top end models from Ramsey, Warn and Superwinch that make there way into world challenges. Use the right tool for the job. Their is also nothing wrong with to much tool for the job or if you plan to step it up in the future.

Mike

I got my REP 8000 a couple of years ago. It is installed on my other truck, not the XJ, which weights about 4000 lbs. It pulled me out fine from some serious situations, so I am happy with it. The only thing I do not like about the Ramseys is the way the clutch engages, much better feeling on the Warns I've tried.

However, Warn is more expensive, or at least it was when I got my Ramsey.

Rgds
---------

John

I bought a HF "High Lift" type jack, It worked ok for a while, was'nt long though before i started to give me trouble like dropping a load. Not Good. Don't be the "guiney pig" when it could be your's or someone else's life or rig hanging in the balance.

forgiven said:
was'nt long though before i started to give me trouble like dropping a load. Not Good.

You sure don't want the winch to give out or you will be "dropping a load"...in your pants!

I haven't heard much on the MM electric, the price is right...but probalby the same China junk. I'd rather buy a used Warn that a new cheapie!

I too am shopping for a winch, tho' a locker is coming first. I have been giving serious thought to the Mile Marker hydro winches. :worship: Got a CD from their website where they test it against the 4 others; pretty sad results on the electrics. Along with the long-term pull ability, it out-performed the electrics too. And it runs underwater! Another plus is a kit for running quick-disco's front and rear. I already have ft/rear recievers, so was already planning a portable base for whatever winch I buy. Just my 4 1/2 cents worth.

Back