• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

torque converter install help

TPI MJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm having a seriously hard time getting the torque converter installed on my th400. I've got the little keys on the input shaft sitting horizonal, the notches on the TC itself horizonal but the thing just won't go on. What am I doing wrong?? It's a TCI if that matters, although I can't get the stock on back on either. :dunno:

TPI MJ said:
I'm having a seriously hard time getting the torque converter installed on my th400. I've got the little keys on the input shaft sitting horizonal, the notches on the TC itself horizonal but the thing just won't go on. What am I doing wrong?? It's a TCI if that matters, although I can't get the stock on back on either. :dunno:

I've done a th400 in a caddy and just did the front seal in my caprice (th350)
you just hafta be patient, and turn only a few degrees at a time, and all the sudden....click.... they must just not be lined up correctly. You shouldn't have to push on it much...this held me up for a day the first time I did it.

did you tear into the tranny at all?

Back