• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Picked up AMC 304 V8 today

RER78

NAXJA Forum User
I checked with Advance Adapters and they said the AMC 304 has the same block bolt pattern as the 4.0L. I'm going to mate it with my Aisin/Warner auto and NP231 T-case tomorrow. Who knows how long the auto will last but it should be fun trying to destroy it. So far everything looks good but I may have some exhaust manifold clearance issues. The engine came from an 1973 AMC Javelin and it ran awesome until I pulled it. It's only a two barrel carb (for now) but I see Edelbrock just come out with a mutiport injection system for the 304. This could be interesting. I'll keep everyone posted and try to post some pics. Has anyone tried this yet ? The nice thing about it is there is only 3 wires to make it run.

the AW4 is a strong tranny! how many do you hear of dying behind the 4.0l when used with proper gearing? They seem to hold up great behind strokers too, which often exceed the power of a stock 304. Now if you start throwing some money at the 304 you may cause some problems, in which case you should get an NV4500.

what I'm wondering is how you plan on shifting the AW4 after you've lost all the sensors from the 4.0?

That thought came to me as I was on my way home, there's got to be a way of either bypassing some areas by means of new sensors or just getting rid of some and making it simple.

RER78 said:
I checked with Advance Adapters and they said the AMC 304 has the same block bolt pattern as the 4.0L. I'm going to mate it with my Aisin/Warner auto and NP231 T-case tomorrow. Who knows how long the auto will last but it should be fun trying to destroy it. So far everything looks good but I may have some exhaust manifold clearance issues. The engine came from an 1973 AMC Javelin and it ran awesome until I pulled it. It's only a two barrel carb (for now) but I see Edelbrock just come out with a mutiport injection system for the 304. This could be interesting. I'll keep everyone posted and try to post some pics. Has anyone tried this yet ? The nice thing about it is there is only 3 wires to make it run.

I just bought a 360 for my '94, and I have to get started on mine pretty soon. Let me know what you did to solve your clearance problems. Thanks!

The 304 fits just fine. You can even use the flex plate from the 4.0L, actually you have to if your running the AW-4. This means the same for the 360 I would think. As for clearance problems I'm going to try and find some "block hugger" headers or fabricate my own set. One thing I do like is the low deck height of the 304, should leave more room for a higher plane intake and carb set up. I'm not sure what I'll use for motor mounts yet but probably fabricate those too. If I would've known it was this easy I would have done this years ago.

RER78 said:
If I would've known it was this easy I would have done this years ago.

Don't speak to soon its all the little stuff thats difficult and time consuming :) I do like the idea of v8 under the hood :)

How much more does the 304 weigh? Just wondering how the front springs will hold up and what springs might be needed to compensate. How about the Unibody "frame" will it need something like the T&J frame stiffners to keep from getting twisted up? I know Novak was working on a kit to do a Chevy V8 conversion, I had seen a write up in JP a while back but hadn't seen anything on Novaks site ever about it since then.
Mike B.

I wouldn't get too excited about that 304 twisting the unibody, not like he's putting a big block in. As far as weight, they're probably pretty close, I-6's are heavy pigs.

(google search)
304 - 150HP @4200 245ftlb @2500
242HO- 195HP @4600 235ftlb @3200

As far as motor mounts go, here's a shot of my Advanced adapters chevy mounts.

42477797.jpg

To tell you the truth, I'm kicking myself in the ass for doing a V8 swap. There's ALOT of cost involved. If I had it to do over again I would have kept the 4.0. I'd be a heck of alot closer to getting this project done, instead of having the gaping hole you see in the pic above. Unless you're getting a signifigant boost in HP/torque, IMHO wouldn't bother. Unless you think the coolness factor outweighs the cost.

(just noticed I was logged in under my old SN)

its very easy to get good power out of a 304. you have to think about how pitiful all v8s endend up in he 70s. just with 4 BBL and dual your up to about 240 or so. and thats still at 7.8 to 1. but down the road its easy to put a 360 or 401 if he realy feels he needs it.

Getting HP out of a 304 isn't a problem. I've helped build two drag race 304's with well over 550HP. We built an old AMX that when it took off from the line the first time the passenger side door flew open from the twist. The key is a good port and polish job and double check things like engine balance and intake and exhaust connections are matching. We ran twin 750cfm carbs, high rise intake, and full race cam with roller rockers. I still want to have this reliable so mods won't be as of extensive but none the less strong. As for weight I know a comparable Ford 302 is something like 60lbs lighter than the 4.0L sp I would assume the 304 is close. A 360 or 401 would be heavier.

a 360 and 401 are the same block so there realy isn't a diffrence in wieght. if you use and alum intake on a 304 it will wiegh less than a 4.0.

Back