• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

track bar

METAL MONKEY

NAXJA Forum User
tonight i went to do my routine loose bolt check. when i went to tighten the frame mount nut on the track bar it didn't want to tighten at all. i noticed the whole bolt was turning with the nut. (Sorry, don't know technical terms.) it is using the stock frame mount, so i'm assuming this is a heim joint correct? anyways, does this mean it is bad or is it just tightened all the way? my steering is become a little loose because of this i believe. by the way this is an adjustable trackbar from rocky road outfitters and it is less than a year old.

thanks

Are you referring to the stud that comes out of the end of the track bar and goes into the center of the frame bracket? The stock style uses a tie rod end style, on which the stud is tapered and the pressure of the taper in the bore prevents turning ... the tighter the nut gets, the more friction is created between the stud and the bracket. On this style (or on Rusty's adjustable, which uses a standard tie rod end unless you also buy the heavy duty frame bracket), there is no bolt head.

If you have an aftermarket bar with a heim joint, there is a bolt. Where there is a bolt, there should be a bolt head, and a nut. Which are you trying to tighten? You should have access to both, and you'll need to put a wrench on both to tighten.

i guess i'm referring to the tie rod end, not a bolt sorry. it is an aftermarket adjustable from rocky road outfitters. from what i have from doing searches, it sounds like i'll need to replace the end. does this sound right? and why would it go bad if it is only about 6 mos old?

I'm not familiar with Rocky Road Outfitters' track bar, so I still don't know if you're referring to a tie rod end, or to a heim joint with a bolt.

If it is a conventional tie rod end, the stud is tapered. If it was properly tightened when installed, the tapered portion will be so tightly wedged into the bracket that the entire rod end can wear out and fall apart, but the stud will still be tight in the bracket.

1. There should be a cotter pin through the nut. Did you remove the cotter pin before trying to tighten it?

2. Did you try smacking the underside of the tie rod end with a hammer to seat the taper more firmly into the bracket? That often works.

3. Is it possible that it has been slopping around enough that the tapered hole in the bracket has become worn?

it has the same end as the stock track bar, so which ever that one is. i did remove the pin, but i didn't think about seating it in the bracket. i will try that. if the third has occured that you mentioned, i guess my three options would to be 1) replace the stock bracket, 2) go to a different track bar with the horizontal mounting, or 3) try to get the end replaced. i've got the re 3.5" sf kit, but netted a little over 4" in the front. so would it be beneficial to go the horizontal route. i do plan to go an 1" or 2" higher in the future.

thanks

I wanted to go with the Rustys trackbar with the brace but don't have the money yet. I replaced my heim with one from www.rodendsupply.com It cost about $30.
Ben

Fuel90 said:
i guess i'm referring to the tie rod end, not a bolt sorry. it is an aftermarket adjustable from rocky road outfitters. from what i have from doing searches, it sounds like i'll need to replace the end. does this sound right? and why would it go bad if it is only about 6 mos old?

Just put a clamp on it. get the thing realy tight and make sure the threads are realy clean on both the nut and tie rod end. lube it up and you should be set.. also air tools are your freind.

Back