• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 LP question

The_Rock

NAXJA Forum User
I'm planning on buying a 2001XJ this spring that will take over trail duty from my 91 over the next couple of years. I understan there are D30 LP in late model XJ. Do all 2001 have LP D30 or do some have HP D30? What is the draw back of a LP if I plan to run 5" of lift and 33s?

the ring and pinion run on the coast side of the gear and the Driveshaft enters the housing below the centerline fo the axle, where as the HP uses the stronger drive side of the ring gear and the pinion enters the housing above the centerline of the axle. which means a less severe drivesline angle with the lift.
The_Rock said:
I'm planning on buying a 2001XJ this spring that will take over trail duty from my 91 over the next couple of years. I understan there are D30 LP in late model XJ. Do all 2001 have LP D30 or do some have HP D30? What is the draw back of a LP if I plan to run 5" of lift and 33s?

Here is what my caster looked like with 5.5" of lift. I was running stock uppers, RE superflex lowers and RE drop brackets.

http://community.webshots.com/album/36323568bloFCS

I ordered RE adjustable uppers and took it in for an alignment and I have no vibes and it drives fine. I didnt get a print out from the alignment guy so I am going to assume he went to stock specs. The guy I went to actually took down my uppers to adjust them properly, I have gone places where they just adjust toe.

C-MuRdaA said:
Here is what my caster looked like with 5.5" of lift. I was running stock uppers, RE superflex lowers and RE drop brackets.

http://community.webshots.com/album/36323568bloFCS

I ordered RE adjustable uppers and took it in for an alignment and I have no vibes and it drives fine. I didnt get a print out from the alignment guy so I am going to assume he went to stock specs. The guy I went to actually took down my uppers to adjust them properly, I have gone places where they just adjust toe.

What uppers were you running?With RE adj. uppers my castor(2000 LP D30) was good but I had some driveshaft binding when "dropped out",a little grinder work took care of that.Now with my LA's my driveshaft angles are way better!

BTW,your pics of the springs really say it all regarding +5" lifts with stock arms.I was already rubbing the front with 32's so I couldn't lengthen the lowers.

Last edited:
RCP Phx said:
What uppers were you running?With RE adj. uppers my castor was good but I had some driveshaft binding when "dropped out",a little grinder work took care of that.Now with my LA's my driveshaft angles are way better!

BTW,your pics of the springs really say it all regarding +5" lifts with stock arms.I was already rubbing the front with 32's so I couldn't lengthen the lowers.

Those pics were with stock uppers but super flex lowers and drop brackets.

I might continue to build my 91HP D30 and when the new Jeep takes over trail duty I'll swap axles. Can I swap outers to keep the late model Uni-bearings and breaks from a 2001 D30LP to my 91 D30HP

Back