• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ramsey winch problem

jeeper2000

NAXJA Forum User
I have a Ramsey 8000 winch with some electrical problems. It hasn't worked recently and when I wiggle the remote cable it seams there is a short in the plug. I pulled the plug out of the winchand it went crazy and broke the steal line that was connected to the bumper. Does anyone know how I could remedy the problem? Another question I have is where can I get a remote transmitterto control the winch and has anyone used these before? Do they work well? Thanks

jeeper2000 said:
I have a Ramsey 8000 winch with some electrical problems. It hasn't worked recently and when I wiggle the remote cable it seams there is a short in the plug. I pulled the plug out of the winchand it went crazy and broke the steal line that was connected to the bumper. Does anyone know how I could remedy the problem? Another question I have is where can I get a remote transmitterto control the winch and has anyone used these before? Do they work well? Thanks

Order a new plug set from Ramsey & fix it right. This time you might just want to disconnect it from the battery before tweeking on it. May just save you a hand or other body part.

You could also sell it & get a Warn, sorry but they're the best for a reason.

Good luck with it.

vintagespeed said:
Order a new plug set from Ramsey & fix it right. This time you might just want to disconnect it from the battery before tweeking on it. May just save you a hand or other body part.

You could also sell it & get a Warn, sorry but they're the best for a reason.

Good luck with it.
Yeah unhook it for now.

Warn Warn Warn, Its always about Warn... :hang:

I can't wait to get my REP8000. :cheers:

89TrailXJ said:
Yeah unhook it for now.

Warn Warn Warn, Its always about Warn... :hang:

I can't wait to get my REP8000. :cheers:

Yes, there are SOOOOOO many Warn winches on the back of tow trucks.

Not. :rolleyes:

CRASH

Last edited:
Yep, I have a Ramsey winch in the garage off a old tow truck. It outlasted the truck.

I just saw they have a new REP 8.5e, its on my wish list now. :cheers:

Just picked one of the new 8.5e's up and fab'ed the reciever mount for it.

From my discussion with Ramsey i understand that this is to replace the 8000e. It has a higher HP motor (2.5HP) and has a heatsink around the motor body. Nice piece. Looking forward to using it.

I was prompted to buy a winch after getting stuck wheeling single. After trying to salvage myself for hours finally called in the tow truck which ran me $200. OUCH!. The price of this winch will pay for itself in one use.

Many lessons learned that day.

Mike

Going to have to let us know how you like the new 8.5e. I saw it in my new Summit catalog for $449, is that about what you paid for it? Thats good to hear about the improvements. The only other plan I have for it is to add the blue synthetic line to it. I am not a cable fan at all.

Sorry about hijacking this thread on you. Did you call Ramsey and see what they had to say about the electrical problem?

Back