• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 and 97 guage cluster swap

RichP

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I just did the swap and everything on my 98 EXCEPT the 'low washer' fluid light works. I looked at the back of the unit and the 98's 'security' and 'low washer' lights are reversed from the 97's. But thats oK, I never did like that damn low washer light ever since the first time it came on while I was going uphill in a really bad ice storm and it scared the bejesus out of me cause it only came on for about 10 seconds and being busy avoiding cars sliding all over the road I could not tell what it was. Thats fixed now and I have an extry bulb iffin I need one :D
Oil pressure sits at 30lbs idle, ~50 when running, temp sits rock solid at 210, volt sits at 14 and the gas gauge still wiggles from my foxy sender on the fuel pump but at least its not that big honken 4" gauge doing the left right jive anymore.
Boy the RPM's suprised me, thats going to be neat having a tach again.
I was a bit nervous and disconnected the battery, waited 20 min like the FSM said and popped the new one in then reconnected the battery. Got in, layed the drivers seat all the way back and turned the key with crossed fingers and toes waiting for the airbags to deploy, hey, if it will happen to anybody it will happen to me.... Guess I better go put the trim pieces back on and button it up while the sun is still warming things up....
The odometer did NOT pickup the true milage, I have 192,262 on it and the new one has 156,xxx on it, wonder where I could get that matched up with out having to pay big bucks, may take the idiot light cluster apart and see whats what inside with the odometer, might be just a matter of moving a chip from one to the other...

Last edited:
just did the same thing last week. talked to the dealership about the odometer change, they dont do it but can send it out to a certified shop for $60. all I have to do is send both units and they will match them up. havnt had a chance to check for anything cheaper.

Thats a PIA, gotta mean at least 2 maybe 3 days downtime, I wonder if they really send it out or just use the OBD II to 'push' the new milage out from the CPU, thats how I'd do it... I think I'll call a couple of different shops and see what they would charge.

IDF_Johnny said:
just did the same thing last week. talked to the dealership about the odometer change, they dont do it but can send it out to a certified shop for $60. all I have to do is send both units and they will match them up. havnt had a chance to check for anything cheaper.

That is DAMN cheap! I was quoted by Jeep $1200 because they would only set a new one, not a junk yard unit, not to mention that my rig had to stay at the dealership until the program and install was complete. I called a place in CA, LA area. I think it was Hollywood Speedometer, they said I could send them the junk yard unit and they would program it to what ever I wanted for $200+ return shipping.

only reason for down time is if you cant drive without a speedo. my 98 ran fine without it. by the way wow! $200 for the reprogram is a lot to me, I'd leave it for that much. from what I was told by one of the techs at the dealership their equipment wont change the odometer, and they never had anyone ask about that before. half hour later they came back with the send it out option.

Back