• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Pump swap?

XJEEPER04

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I've got to swap out my fuel pump on a 89 xj. Do you have to pull the tank down? does anyone know any tricks or secrets about doing this job?

You don't have to drop the tank to replace the pump, but some say it makes it easier to seat the new pump with it out. Disconnect the battery before you do anything.
Make sure you have 1/4 tank of gas or less before you start, and it may help to hit the locking ring a few times with PB or similar prior to removing it. There is a rubber, cone shaped thingy that's pressed onto the bottom of the pump that sits in a "cup" inside the tank...make sure it comes out w/the pump when you pull the old one out. You'll need to swap it onto the new pump when you install. That's the trickiest part...getting that piece to sit properly in the cup. If it isn't in right, you'll know because you won't be able to get the pump assembly to fit flush in the hole and spin the retaining ring back on. Use a new O-ring there too...the old one will probably be deformed/flattened too much to reseal.
HTH,
Jeff

XJEEPER04 said:
Hey guys, I've got to swap out my fuel pump on a 89 xj. Do you have to pull the tank down? does anyone know any tricks or secrets about doing this job?

Having done it once, IMHO it is easier to drop the tank, for the reasons enumerated above.

In addition to a new o-ring, also buy a new "sock" filter for the pickup arm, and new J-bolts for hanging the tank because on an '89 you're going to trash the old ones getting them off.

Details count

I did a fuel pump swap early during my ownership of a 90, I bought it new and still have it. I was told that NAPA pumps are the best and OEM failed often. I must have done something wrong because I fuel starve on right hand turns on a low tank!

I reciently saw a web page from a guy in Australia who explained how to get another 5 gallons out of your existing tank. Anybody know the url?

Another vote to drop the tank. I just did this on my '89 two weeks ago because of a weeping o-ring. It's easy enough to get the pump out with the tank in place but it's really hard to get it back in. I ended up pulling the tank to get it back in. Overall, it's quicker and easier if you drop the tank. In addition to the difficulty of getting the pump back in, it's difficult to get the o-ring properly poisitioned if the tank is still installed. O-ring and sock filter run about $6-$8 each at the dealer.

Drop the tank. It's a real pita to do it on your back trying to get everything aligned up and the O ring aligned. I didn't drop the tank, but for the all the words I used with the garage door open I should have dropped it down. Plus a broken drop light (anger). I did get one from Autozone, nice price but doesn't quit match up to the stock one. Different mounts on the bottom, took it back and got one from NAPA. Juice

the article mentioned previously is on the gojeep website. http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoFuelTank.htm i would definatly go with dropping the tank, much easier. your probably gonna have to tweak the pump to get it to fit, at least i did with the reman one i got. the OEM would probably fit better. as for OEM being junk, do u know if this is original? its aslted this long, how bad could it be? only thing that sux is the price. good luck.

Back