• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Add detroit Abs light on

kirby

NAXJA Forum User
I just finished installing the super 35 kit on my 98 xj and now the abs light is on from start up to shut down. The color is yellow. Could this be because I hit something that I shouldn't have trying to beat those stupid bearings out of the axle shaft? I highly doubt it would be doing it if I hadn't messed. Tell me what I need to look at if you could. I'm not very familiar with the whole abs thing.

kirby said:
I just finished installing the super 35 kit on my 98 xj and now the abs light is on from start up to shut down. The color is yellow. Could this be because I hit something that I shouldn't have trying to beat those stupid bearings out of the axle shaft? I highly doubt it would be doing it if I hadn't messed. Tell me what I need to look at if you could. I'm not very familiar with the whole abs thing.

there should not have been any bearings on your axle shaft. Dana 35's use roller bearings that are pressed into the axle tube, and they ride directly on the axle shaft.

What bearings, exactly, were you trying to beat out?

CRASH

It sounds like you installed new Superior shafts on your D35....
With ABS, the original shafts have a "tone ring" on them.
The ring has square teeth on it and creates a signal at the ABS sensors.
If the new shafts did not have a ring installed on them, you get no signal and have effectively removed the ABS from your Jeep. I think you can just remove the fuse that feeds the ABS system and your brakes will work like a non-ABS Jeep and your light will go off.

That could work too. The Superior shafts would need to have a place on them of the right diameter in the right place. I don't know about C-clipped axle shafts, but the non-c-clipped ones also have the bearings pressed on the shaft after the tone rings. If the shafts he is running have pressed on bearings, this could mean having to replace the bearings too in order to add the tone rings.

He has a c-clip axle... On stock the bearings are in the axle tube. I don't know if the superior kit changes that. He also said he was trying to beat the bearings "out of teh axle shaft".... perhaps he is calling the axle tube the axle shaft? Either way.. the tone ring's hole can be enlarged to accomidate bigger shafts. The superior shaft ay also need a seat machined in it as well. A good machine shop should be able to get them on for a small fee.

-Chris

Sorry about my bad terminology. You have to take the old roller bearings out of the axle tubes and press in new ones, but I guess that's not my problem. I don't see any way that you can take that tone ring off of the old axle shafts and put it on the new ones so I guess no more abs, but will that take away the abs from the front if I remove the fuse? Any other solution to keep the abs?

I'll bet that the front is not active, if the rear is not working already.
If you want it to all be working, the rings will need to be added to the new shafts. As previously mentioned, you might need a machine shop to do some work on the inner diameter of the rings and/or the new shafts. The rings can be removed from the shafts with a bearing press... probably by the machine shop, if you don't have a press.
Unfortunately it seems that you can't buy just the rings anywhere. They only come installed on axle shafts.
I don't have ABS on my Jeep, but helped a friend that was looking into preserving the ABS on his 99XJ as we were building up an older XJ D44 rear axle. In his case, he was able to get the axles and rings machined to fit each other and we pressed them on, but he tried to use XJ tone rings and it turned out that they were a different diameter to use with the ZJ ABS sensors that he was converting to with disk brakes.

I guess I'll just disconnect the abs then because I don't want to have to pay someone to machine down the new axle to fit the stupid things on. Thanks for the help.

ScottRoz said:
If you want it to all be working, the rings will need to be added to the new shafts. As previously mentioned, you might need a machine shop to do some work on the inner diameter of the rings and/or the new shafts. The rings can be removed from the shafts with a bearing press... probably by the machine shop, if you don't have a press.
Unfortunately it seems that you can't buy just the rings anywhere. They only come installed on axle shafts.
I don't have ABS on my Jeep, but helped a friend that was looking into preserving the ABS on his 99XJ as we were building up an older XJ D44 rear axle. In his case, he was able to get the axles and rings machined to fit each other and we pressed them on, but he tried to use XJ tone rings and it turned out that they were a different diameter to use with the ZJ ABS sensors that he was converting to with disk brakes.

I have a 96XJ with ABS and was planning to install ZJ disc brakes.
I want to keep the ABS. I noticed that the sensor and sensor location are different, your post says that the ring is also different.
Is it possible and practical to convert and keep the ABS?
Thanks.

I think it is feasible, but you would want to use ZJ tone rings so that they line up correctly with the ZJ sensors.
You should at a minimum check into the number of notches are on a ZJ tone ring, compared to an XJ.... that might indicate a problem if they are different.
I don't think the diameter of a XJ ring lines up with the ZJ sensor location.

ScottRoz said:
I think it is feasible, but you would want to use ZJ tone rings so that they line up correctly with the ZJ sensors.
You should at a minimum check into the number of notches are on a ZJ tone ring, compared to an XJ.... that might indicate a problem if they are different.
I don't think the diameter of a XJ ring lines up with the ZJ sensor location.

That was one thing I completely forgot to ask about before I started buying the ZJ parts.
I am not willing to loose my ABS and I think it just got too complicated for me.
I think I'll try to sell the ZJ parts and forget about it.
Thanks.

ScottRoz said:

I have a D35, I could try to get ZJ axles.
For the ZJ axles to work, they must have a larger diameter ring with the same number of teeth as the XJ. Is this the case?
Will the ZJ sensors work with the XJ computer?
Did your friend solve the problem?

falcon556 said:
I have a D35, I could try to get ZJ axles.
For the ZJ axles to work, they must have a larger diameter ring with the same number of teeth as the XJ. Is this the case?
Will the ZJ sensors work with the XJ computer?
Did your friend solve the problem?

Yes, the ZJ tone rings are larger, but the same number of teeth. All you need to do is get the tone rings or axle shafts and the ZJ sensors. Splice the sensors into the XJ's wiring.

http://www.electronicimpulse.net/~vissagoth/jeep/tech/disks.htm

Last edited:
falcon556 said:
Thanks for the information and the link. It answers a lot of my questions.

Update: I found ZJ tone rings and ZJ sensors complete with their harnesses.
Installed, everything is working as it should.

Back