• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

metric equivalent of 11.5" tire width

mikeny59

NAXJA Member #300
Hopefully I'll be installing 4.10's soon, I'm staying with 31" tire height, is it possible to find a 31" x 11.5" metric equavilent in a decent a/t tire (preferably goodrich or similar)? Almost on one makes a 31x11.5 in an 15 inch rim.

I ride mainly on the beach, figure a bit wider tire can only help.

Not sure how to convert metric to inches for tires, can I just divide by 25.4?

Thanks,

Mike #300

multiply by 25.4 to get the metric #
11.5" wide would be 292.1, so look for a 285 or a 295 tire
running just the #'s, 295/70R15 would be 31.3"x11.6" on a 15" rim. I haven't heard of that tire size before though.

In a BFG the closest thing you are going to get in a meteric size tire would be a 325/60R15. This tire stands 30.5 inches tall and is 12.9 inches wide. Now that is one wide tire. I don't know what vehicle BFG had in mind when the built them, but maybe it will be what you wan't.

The TrXus STS's pattern looks like it could be m/t noisy. The bfg probably would work great in the sand, but looks a bit too lowrider for me.

Let me see if another search of the numbers comes up with anything else.

Thanks for the quick replies, they are much appreciated.

Mike #300

I am currently running 265/75/15 on my 95 xj. They are about 30.5" tall and fit very nicely on a stock rim. Section width (sidewall bulge) is about 10.5" and tread is about 9". They are Starfire tires, made by Cooper and work great in the snow. Checkout their website, thats where i noticed them first.
Bill

mikeny59--

I'm currently running the BFG AT KO in 325/60/R15 and I really like them.

I do a lot of beach driving and these are a perfect tradeoff between a highway cruiser and great beach wheeling.--for a few reasons--

1-the wide footprint is great in the sand
2-the ~31" height works fine with my stock gears (ive got plenty of power and so-so fuel economy ~17 highway....but 4.56 and lockers are the next step...so i can upgrade to 35's eventually
3-the big 12.9 footprint coupled with the 3.75 backspacing makes for a nice wide, aggressive, stable stance.

i can email you some pics if you want--let me know.

they seem to be a good combo for now (until i decide to go taller)
and they even stuff fully at all 4 corners. (i run with no rear sway bar and JKS front discos)

let me know if u have any more questions..

CaptTrev

PS- i wanted to post a pic, but had some difficulty--i used to be able to do it b4 the new style website. . .

Capt, Thanks for the photos, the stance looks great. What width wheel are you running?

I hate to be a pest, could you email me a photo with the jeep at rest, no flexing/articulation? That view may sell me on the size.

Again, thanks, and I agree on the your reasons for running this oddball size.

Mike/NY

mike-

PM me with your email address and ill see if i can dig up some better shots for you.

to answer your question- the wheels are 15X8 with 3.75" backspacing

i asked a lot of questions and did a lot of research on here when i decided i was going with the ~12.5" wide tire and decided to go with the 8" wide wheel (instead of a 10"). do a search on here and reasearch it for your own parameters and needs though.

Trev

mikeny59 said:
The TrXus STS's pattern looks like it could be m/t noisy.
Mike #300

My sis has 29x10.5 STS tires on her hardtop TJ and you need to turn off the radio and really listen in order to hear the tires. They are definitely an allterrain, not a mudterrain. Been great in the snow and ice, but will probably suck in deep mud. Dunno for sure because she just got them a month ago and Michigan is still a popsicle. Personally, I think the tread pattern looks much better on the smaller versions (rather than the 44s). I have the trXus MTs on my Comanche and they are also very quiet on the highway.
Jeep on!
--Pete
43518569.jpg

43899215.jpg

I have these Kumho Venture MT's 31x11.5" on stock rims. I love them. Certainly noisier than an AT but not too bad. I'm sitting at about 4.5" and I like the way it looks with the wider stance. Performed great in Moab last year and in the snow. Only 90.00 to boot.
ku_road_venture_mt.jpg

Back