• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hesitation and sometimes stalls at lights

offroaddestruction

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 88' limited. the engine is out of a 93' and when im at a light or a complete stop and touch the accelerator to go the rmps drop as if it wants to stall then they pick right back up. somtimes it will cut out as soon as your foot hits the pedal. does anyone know what is causing this problem, i have replased the pressure regulator and it still does it

offroaddestruction

Pull your throttle body off and clean it out with a can of B-12 carb cleaner. If theres black muck and crap lining the TB it will stall out as your describing. Be sure to take off the sensors and such before you clean it.

Mike

A bad or misadjusted TPS will do this (output voltage too high is one cause), but so will a poor connection, especially if you have the dreaded "C101" connector on your firewall. I've had the same problem from both sources. A good start is to unplug and replug all the connections you can find.

93 into an 88, did you use the tps from the 93(HO). if so, ive read no first hand experience, you need to reuse the 88 tps.

There is a TSB out for this problem on the 88 XJ. I take it you are using the 88 XJ throttle body and engine computer.

The TSB has instructions on how to modify the Idle Air controller to prevent it from completely closing. I had your problem one year ago, it generally happened when i was less than 5 miles from home and had just started the engine.

I took it to the dealer mechanic who I use, described the problem on paper, he ended up calling tech support and they directed him to the TSB. I lost my password to alldatadiy to get the TSB number for you but is should be easy to find.

It cost me an hour labor for the mechanic to figure it out AND fix it.

Back