• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anti lock light is on

ayoikawa

NAXJA Forum User
Hello
I have 89 XJ that I bought 2 years ago everything has been working great.
I just having this issue last few day that while I'm driving, check anti lock light comes on. and I do feel the brake is still working but not ABS, is there way to check this or how can I disable the ABS (I heard before that I can just take fuse off but which one?)
also I'm hearing the noise from front end (I also find out while I'm checking frontend, passenger side coil was broke off on the bottom like inch or so. another finding was, I saw tihs white plastic piece on axel part ( I think not much familier with the technical term in axel) which was not on passenger side.
I would like to keep my xj to make improvements and want to do midify, but right now this is my only daily driven, so I want to keep it in shape so that I don't get stuck in middle of no where. any help, suggestion are very much appliciated.

Depends if its the red light or the yellow one. The anti lock light will come on under a number of conditions. It always comes on when the emergency brake is pulled, (red light, then yellow as speed passes 3 mph) even if only pulled up a click or two. Also, low fluid level same as above. If the light only comes on after you start moving, its likely a wheel sensor, as opposed to a controller or modulator fault which would show a warning light right from key on.
Try to give a precise description of which lights, and in what sequence of events they come on.
I have the infamous early Bendix ABS on my '90. When it works, I love it, and would never disable it. I try to maintain it, and get it fixed if it acts up. I credit it to saving my hide on more than one occasion.
Don't forget that some major components of your ABS are lifetime warranty items. Check with the dealer.

description

yes forgot to mention when it happens.
when I just start and warm up (not moving) nothing happens, after 5 miles so suddenly come on (Yellow lights) when I stop the car turn the key off and atart again no lights and drive again it comes on. I heard about infamous Bedix. I was thinking about replacing it but so far I try to keep it just like you said when it works it works great. my suspicion was wheel sensor (If anyone knows the part number for it it will be great) since that would be only parts would make that come on( since I do have to replace the parking brake line one I think froze up while back and it's loose.) since there has been lot of snow and I have been dring 87 in the middle of storm few times (it always happens when I go upsate NY on the way back) maybe sensor failed.
a

Likely a bad wheel sensor. Check for damaged wires, especially to the front wheels. Then follow the wire back to the connector, take it apart and clean it. If that fails, the dealer has a tester that will tell which wheel is bad, for about one hour's labor. Probably worth it.

Also check the tone wheel teeth at each sensor to make sure they are not dented or full of dirt and check the sensors for proper air gap setting. I usually set my fronts at .014 inch. The fsm says .013-.019 inchs for the front sensors and rears at .030 - .036. If you install new sensors they usually come with a spacer strip on the end of the sensor. Use only plastic or brass (per fsm) feeler gauges to set the gap and clean the sensor face first. Leave this on during install since it sets the spacing and it will wear off per the fsm. Note new sensors are expensive. Try autozone.com and advanceautoparts.com and buymopar.com for prices. They only had this system for a few yrs so parts are expensive. Good Luck. Greg

I had the same problem on my 91. After a thorough cleaning of all 4 sensors as they were covered with crud the system works fine. Try that first. BTW I think the sensors are around $100 each so I'd try everything before I do that. Not to mention taking it to the dealer to see if it's a recall item as mentioned above.
HTH

thanks you for all of your advises

yes thank you I'll checked teeth etc. since I noticed the increased noise in the front end also, Maybe that is coming from those following you listed, noise do stop when I"m turing wheel to certain degrees so it might be different issue but I got feeling that somehow those are related since it's tax season, rather not have to spend the 100 on sensors....... I'll work on this today since it is nice day out

worked so far

I took the sensor on both side on the frontwheel first I cleaned the driver side. I cleaned it and test drive.... still same, I took the passenger side one out it was worn little more than driver side, I cleaned it and gap it right, light stop coming on so far, I wonder If I can find one in junkyard which is bettter shape then mine is. thanks for all your help again! hopully I can help people here with knowledge that I have.

Back