• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

T/C Choice?

MG_43

NAXJA Forum User
I have found 2 91 XJs absolutely identical except one has a 231 and the other has a 242, which would be the best choice? Sorry for all the basic questions but I'm new to XJs and want one I can keep for a long time. Thanks in advance. Marv

the 242 is a little stronger and has the addition of the full-time 4 wheel drive, but the 231 has more aftermarket available like 2low, 4:1, and SYE kits.

if it's going to stay relatively stock (3" lift or less) I would say get the 242, if you're going big with it, get the 231

The 242J is actually slightly weaker compared to the 231J. This, however, is fine for a stock XJ. The 242J's selling point is that nifty Full Time setting. You can keep in in Full Time all the time as it uses geared differencial to split the torque between the front and rear wheels. There is a larger aftermarket for the 231. For having that extra choice for the times Part Time is not recommended, the 242 is king. I find it works best in snow and heavy rain, reaaly keeps the front end from hydroplaning. I have a 242 in my XJ and wouldn't give it up.

--Matt

Both transfer cases are a good design, its just what you prefer. My ’91 limited has a 242 and I love it. I have a couple of buddies with TJs that have the 231. They work just fine too, but I like being able to run in 4 x 4 on the pavement. It comes in handy when you are driving on roads that have intermittent snow, ice, and clear patches.

Back