• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

can you name these wire harness adaptors?

imma honky

NAXJA Forum User
This is the entire harness that goes to the dist and alt.
888908harness2.jpg

Closeup of one connector that attaches to the dist.
888912harness4.jpg

Harness that atteches to the alt.
888913harness5.jpg

Main harness, that connects near the battery.
888916harness6.jpg

Another shot.
888923harness7.jpg

I am looking for the ACTUAL names of the adapters. I have an electronics magazine that I might be able to get parts from, but im not sure of the compatibility. Does anyone know if the adapters are very specific, or can I substitute something similar. If im not making sense, let me know.

If you can give me clearer pix and model year, I might be able to help. They look vaguely familiar, but I can hardly read the damn things...

I think they're auto-specific, tho - the sort of thing to check with MSD or MotorMite when you need new ones. If you've got a catalogue that can do more automotive stuff, I'd like to hear of it. I'm always looking for sources...

5-90

well, actually. I thumbed through the mag for about 20+ mins looking at each harness. I found one to replace the main one. It a weathertight seal. Only problem is It must be bought in bulk. So far the cost is about 40 bucks without the wire, but I can make about 6 adapters. tomorrow, I am going to take apart the harness that attches to the dist. I think I can get a similar one for that too. The only one I cannot find is the one that hooks into the alt. Sooooo, im off to a not-so-bad start. The only downside to this whole thing will be that I will have to cut all the old harness adapters off, and put my new ones in. I also plan on running 14G wire instead of the 16/18 that is stock.

Can you get them at a u-pull-it yard? I had to this for a couple of mine that the PO broke the locking tabs off of. I just spliced them soldered and heat shrinked the connection.

checked today, nogo on the jyards. They are getting new inventory this month though.

What year XJ? If it's Renix, the distributor connector is a Ford part (the distributor has a Ford OEM#) the alternator connector is a Delco part, and the "main harness" looks like a variation on the Deustch connectors popular with everyone else. Remember what AMC means - "All Makes Compatible."

Which supplier are you trying? I'd not mind buying in small bulk - I always like having spares on hand...

5-90

imma honky said:
90 laredo.
Where can I pick up another delco harness?

The connectors are used on older Chryslers also. Like 84-92. The alternator connector is for the small Delco (GM) one and should be found for older GM cars/trucks. All of these should be in junkyards, just take then with you to find a suitable replacement.

Just picked up a harness at the yard. It is only missing one wire that was previously cut at one end, so I have no idea where it is supposed to go. It is a HOT wire that was dangling behind the starter. (The same one I fried).
Anyone know where this goes?

90 4L auto

imma honky said:
Just picked up a harness at the yard. It is only missing one wire that was previously cut at one end, so I have no idea where it is supposed to go. It is a HOT wire that was dangling behind the starter. (The same one I fried).
Anyone know where this goes?

90 4L auto

What color/size is the wire?

reddish, greenish,brownish about 14-12G.
it is spliced into a green wire w/white stripe on the main grey harness.

imma honky said:

Sounds like the starter solenoid wire.

Already have a power wire going to the starter, and a ground. And there is a wire going from the solenoid to the starter (came hooked up).

imma honky said:
Already have a power wire going to the starter, and a ground. And there is a wire going from the solenoid to the starter (came hooked up).

There isn't a ground going to the starter stock. Let me look at the wiring when I get home. Can you post a photo of the harness?

The starter has 3 wires. +post->+ terminal of starter
Grounded to the block
and a wire from the solenoid to the starter.

imma honky said:
The starter has 3 wires. +post->+ terminal of starter
Grounded to the block
and a wire from the solenoid to the starter.

A stock 4.0L has two wires at the starter, battery feed and a switched feed for the solenoid. The ground wire attaches from the battery to the engine dipstick tube.

yes, then from the block to the ground on the starter. That is the exact way it was hooked up when I unhooked it originally.

imma honky said:

The only 14 green wire with a tracer I see is one that goes through a connector headed to the ECU for a start signal. You said it was hanging by the starter?

yeah, the wire was hanging against the block and was wrapped behind the distributor.

Back