• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fuel pump question

chassellbandit said:
any tips for getting the damn thing to twist so i can get it out? 93 with 12 years of winer under her....thanx

Some 14 of us have "looked-at" your post and, so far, no responses . . . there are plenty of us on here who have changed-our fuel pumps . . . . . I, for one, am a little confused by at what stage you are and what you are trying to do. 'Maybe a little more specifics . . . . .

In the meantime, maybe this will help ('hope so) but forgive me if you know this . . . . on my '88 (and, I think, my '91)(maybe your 93 is different -- I assume not), there's no real "twisting" of the fuel pump assembly for removal or replacement . . . . it, basically just drops in there and then is locked in place with a (approx 4" diameter) lockring that you CAREFULLY drive ccw (do this ONLY with a brass drift pin) for removal and cw for replacement . . . . 'probably best to get a replacement lock ring from the steeler before you start. On putting the new pump into the tank, there is an aligning pin at the pump end, down in the tank that you'll want to be sure is matched-up with the aligning hole in the pump assembly. Don

ok, that answers my next question, y the heck i can't get the new pump in. won't sit in there decent to get the lockring on. sounds like i'm gonna have to break down and drop the whole thing to the ground, correct? thanx for your help.

I found it difficult but not impossible to line up the fuel pump with the tank in the vehicle. To be honest, I don't think it's that much easier with the tank out, because by the time the pump pickup is far enough in to worry about dropping that plug into the socket, the mounting flange is blocking the view anyway. You have to go by feel.

When you removed the pump, the rubber cone did come out with the old pump, right? If not, it's still down there and you'll nevcer get the new pump to seat properly.

If you haven't already done so, buy a new lock ring and a new gasket. Makes life a lot simpler.

replacement unit came with new o-ring gasket, no lockring tho. so basically its just a matter of cussing/bitching/drinking more to get it in there? guess i'll go back at it here in a few now that i'm thawed out.....

The reason for using the brass punch to remove the ring is to eliminate sparking when working with the fuel system. I'd use the new ring/ gasket and put a little vaseline or other petroleum based lube on it to help it. You should find that much easier.

chassellbandit said:
ok, that answers my next question, y the heck i can't get the new pump in. won't sit in there decent to get the lockring on. sounds like i'm gonna have to break down and drop the whole thing to the ground, correct? thanx for your help.
Where did you get the replacement unit? Is it the entire unit or just the pump? I got an entire unit from JC Whitney it had the same trouble. I had to bend it to get it to go in right. It was hitting the side of the tank when I put it in so I had to bend it away from the tank to get it to work. I compared the angles on it to the stock one and it was different. Got it in but it's extremely noisy, wish I would've gotten one from the dealer now.
Mike Harris

RE tank removal . . . again, I'm talking re my 88 and 'assume others are very similar . . . . I replaced my fuel pump w/ the tank in place . . . . recently, I did something stupid ('won't go into the details right now) and had to remove the tank and the fuel pump . . . . . I will NEVER replace another pump without removing the tank on my XJ's . . . . removal and replacement is MUCH EASIER than I expected and r&r of the fuel pump, getting it ligned-up, gasket in and properly tightened, etc are MUCH easier. Don

285?!?!?!? holy $hit.....i was gonna take mine back and get a dealer one, but amybe not. hell i can't afford that. i finally got the damn tank out (hose clamps were rusted, so i ahd to cut the hoses) and tried again, but once i get it lined up with the bracket, i've got like 2 inches yet to put it in to seat it. unless i am missing something....this is really starting to piss me off tho, that much i do know. thanx for all the advice thus far, please keep it coming.

chassellbandit said:
285?!?!?!? holy $hit.....i was gonna take mine back]
That was what I said too,and that did not include putting it in.
I,m on my 2nd one in three years,these were reman Jeep factory units.
Wayne

Have you compared the new with the old unit to be certain you have the correct part? If you have, (this is difficult to describe) you're likely hitting the piece inside the tank that has the aligning point mounted to it . . . back it out and re-enter at a shallower angle . . . . . . it seems to me I had the same problem. Don

well, i got the beast in, had to tweak seven ways from sunday to get it in (can u tell it wasn't a dealer item :rolleyes: and a little FYI the filler hose is a dealer only item. wish i would'e known that at 4:30 instead of 8:30. oh well, its snowing anyways

i jsut wanted to give a quick thanx to everyone who offerd help and advice here. i got it running tonite, finally. of the three places i posted this message, NAXJA was the only one to offer any help. you guys rock. thanx again.

Back