• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaky Master Cylinder

RedBull

NAXJA Forum User
Ok peeps,
I have a 92 XJ sport I6 4x4, during the past few weeks I have started to get a shortage in my Master cylinder. My question is does anyone know what area is supplied by the front part of the master cyclinder, "example Front Brakes = Rear cylinder". I know there must be a leak just I do not know where to start looking. Plus I am not the smartest cookie in the jar when it comes to 4x4 repair. I have to place about a 1 oz of fluid every 5 days. Any answer will help.

Dennis

XJ´s have a few master cylinder configurations. The smaller part of the resivoir is normaly for the rears. It´s in the front part of the master cylinder in my 88.
The rear wheel cylinders are a common place to loose fluid. Pulling the dust boot out carefully (don´t tear it) will usually tell if the wheel cylinder is seeping. Some fluid will come out. If the wheel cylinder is leaking, fluid will often be apparent at the bottom of the brake drum baking plate.
Have also seen seeps at the banjo bolt on the rear axle and the flare nut at the wheel cylinder, at the backing plate.
I´d use a flashlight and check every connector and look for seepage, before things get dangerous. There arn´t that many joints and that much brake fluid leaking should leave some stains.
A slow seep, often makes for a spongy brake pedal, fluid out, air in.

Back