• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Getting ready for full width

andyr354

NAXJA Forum User
All of this is for an 89, 4.0, AW4, 231, 4 door XJ.

I have been doing some research and talking to people who have done the swap. Have a few areas asking Qs yet though.
Plan is to get axles from a 76-77 Ford 1/2ton. If I can't find one of those years are the drum brake years suitable with spindle swaps? Is a 9" from the same years of truck a good one to go with?

Planning on running skyjacker 8" coils and leafs or are other better (I think I might be able to get a used set of 8" leafs)?

Will need a sye of some type and a driveshaft. Any rocomendations?

Need some LONG brake lines I am still looking for at a decent price.

The one I am modeling off if is running standard ford knuckles with a Skyjacker drop pitman arm, wouldn't it be better to go with flattops and highsteer?

For front susp I am planning on fabbing a longarm setup with RE joints on the main arms and Heims or rubber bushings on the upper bracing arm(s).

For tires I am thinking 36x12.50 TSLs

The one I am modeling off if is running standard ford knuckles with a Skyjacker drop pitman arm, wouldn't it be better to go with flattops and highsteer?

Why would you NOT go with high steer?

CRASH

CRASH said:
Why would you NOT go with high steer?

CRASH

I think I have seen piccs of you steering on here somewhere. Arent you using chevy TREs? How do you like it, did you make your own histeer arms buy them somewhere?

andyr354 said:
I think I have seen piccs of you steering on here somewhere. Arent you using chevy TREs? How do you like it, did you make your own histeer arms buy them somewhere?

Chevy TRE's, Roggy Enterprises High Steer Arms (Though I would recommend OTT's arms over Roggy's).

Have you looked at Bill-a-Vista's site for 44 details?

New%20Steering%20(front)

CRASH

yes, have been reading articles there and Mr. Ns site.

Did you go with chevy knuckles or is that an F250 axle with factory highsteer?

andyr354 said:
yes, have been reading articles there and Mr. Ns site.

Did you go with chevy knuckles or is that an F250 axle with factory highsteer?

F250s didn't come with histeer... The tie rod still attaches at the same location as your 30 (or whatever)... I think you're refering to the J style steering arm on the driver's side. You'd still have to get the pass. side machined and tapped.
Billy

I use Waggy flat top knuckles, Chevrolet spindles, hubs and brakes.

Neither one of my knuckles were drilled or tapped for high steer.

CRASH

JeepFreak21 said:
F250s didn't come with histeer...

true, but the important thing to note, is that the knuckles are EASILY "converted" to highsteer.

they are flattops, and you will only have to drill/tap one side.

add heims and bunged tubes to match, and yer good to go.

Can I run 15" rims on an F250 axle?

anybody know a place in the midwest to get knuckles machined and tapped?

I am in Northern Kansas. I think the local engine shops are just gona go HUH?

I think I will stick with an F150 alxe, chevy knuckles, and run the ford 5 on 5.5 to match the 9" I am planning on in the rear. I guess the drivers side will be ready to go it is just the passengers side I will have to mess with correct?

Back