• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP242 TO NP231 swap...possible?

89xjgrey

NAXJA Forum User
Well, to start, I have an '89 Jeep XJ Limited with an auto trans. It looks like my NP242 case is taking a crap on me. Finding a 242 around here is slim to none. Is it possible to swap it out with a NP231 from an automatic built around the same time frame? Besides just the shifter bezel, what else must be changed. The axles are not vaccum activited. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

When my friend with a 89xj 231 blew out the 231 we sub'd in a 242 I was saving for a spare for him to use until he found another 231, worked great, bolt in swap, just didnt get the linkage adjusted right but we didnt try hard, it was a temp.

It should be a no sweat swap. The 231 is smaller and will give you some more ground clearence. No vac disco's should be no problem also as the new Jeeps do not have them with the 231's. Finding a 242 should be no problem though. They came in Grands as standard. Just make sure the input spline count is correct, the later madels have a higher spline count. Try www.car-parts.com for one. I got one for $350 + shipping. I think shipping was $50.

HTH,
B-loose

Been here done this. I had an xj that i wrecked that had my NP231 with sye kit and all on it and i swapped it in to the the new xj that i bought, it came with a 242. They are a direct swap. Just to be safe though keep your year reange to 87-90 after that they started to use the HO motor and i think that is when you need to start worring about the spline count diffrences. also make sure that you get one that is out of the same transmission type that yours is. Because i have heard that manual trans t-cases have a longer input shaft than the auto trans t-cases.

HTH

Jerm S.

What is the difference between the 242 and the 231? I know the 242 has the full time option which is good, but why does everyone want to swap to a 231? They say they are stronger, but what else?

I'm getting ready to do a 242 to 231 swap. I got a shifter, bezel, and gate from someone here for pretty cheap From what I can tell the swap is straight forward. You should'nt have any issues.

If you want to run the 242, I have a good one for sale pretty cheap...

Well, I have a 242 in my XJ right now, that is tore up. The full time option is shot in it. I was thinking of going to a 231, but no one seems to know what the difference's between the 2 cases are. How much are we talking for your 242? PM me.

Also, I have several 231's from GM S series trucks laying around, would they bolt right up (if the spline count was right of course.)? Both my cherokees have the AW4 tranny. Just a thought...

Moore4X4 said:
Also, I have several 231's from GM S series trucks laying around, would they bolt right up (if the spline count was right of course.)? Both my cherokees have the AW4 tranny. Just a thought...

I would be carefull about this because I tried ti attatch an S-10 np231 to an AW4, and found out that the bolt patterns are completely different, the 231 I had used a 5 bolt pattern to attatch to the transmission, while the 242 used a 6 bolt pattern to attatch to the AW4.

Just my 2 cents.

89xjgrey said:
Well, to start, I have an '89 Jeep XJ Limited with an auto trans. It looks like my NP242 case is taking a crap on me. Finding a 242 around here is slim to none. Is it possible to swap it out with a NP231 from an automatic built around the same time frame? Besides just the shifter bezel, what else must be changed. The axles are not vaccum activited. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You can use a case from another automatic XJ or from a -'87-'89 XJ with the 5 spd Peugot tranny. I have swapped t-cases both ways with AW4s and Peugots trannies.

Back