• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 9" yoke vs XJ yoke/Ujoint

thundermoose

NAXJA Forum User
Mounting a Ford 9" under my 96 XJ. The pinion yoke on the 9" isn't compatible with the yoke/Ujoint that is on my XJ. What are my options,

Is there a yoke for the 9" pinion that fits the XJ set up, or do I need a new XJ yoke welded on my shaft to fit the 9"?????

Thanks
David

I was going to ask this very question today. Will the same adapter for the 8.8 work?

Yes, there is an adapter plate that bolts on the u-joint to your driveshaft and then mounts up to the Ford 9". Most drivetrain shops ought to have them. I don't have a part number, sorry, but I do have this setup on my XJ with a Currie high pinion 9".

Nay

I need to know too as I just bought a nine inch and I will be mounting it soon enough, but I do have a custom high angle driveline, does that make a difference?

Not all 9" rears are the same. Some have standard U joint yoke & some are flat flange... For us to tell you what you have we'll need to know what the 9" came out of & that's not counting on whether the previous owner changed it over to something else. Measure up what you have & take that down to your local NAPA or good auto parts store & look through their books. You can pretty much adapt anything to anything, but you need to know what you're trying to adapt to. Can I be any more conveluted? :) Figure out what you've got first. The path to adaptation shall fallow.

Matt

I was just recentlyl directed to Jesse at High Angle Driveline
www.highangledriveline.com

There are at least 3 different Ujoint cap diameters for the 9" and differing widths of the cross. Determine the cap diameter and the distance between the tangs on the yoke. This will identify what is needed. Jesse will hook you up.

Thats all I have found out on this.

Good Luck
David

FarmerMatt said:
Not all 9" rears are the same. Some have standard U joint yoke & some are flat flange... For us to tell you what you have we'll need to know what the 9" came out of & that's not counting on whether the previous owner changed it over to something else. Measure up what you have & take that down to your local NAPA or good auto parts store & look through their books. You can pretty much adapt anything to anything, but you need to know what you're trying to adapt to. Can I be any more conveluted? :) Figure out what you've got first. The path to adaptation shall fallow.

Matt

Back