• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stolen lic plate....again

Sarge

NAXJA Forum User
As you may remember (or not) I live in a not-so-nice area (real close to the cop shop). There are very few patrols. About 6 months ago my rear plate was stolen thru the simple method of unscrewing it. I changed it out to bolts with fender washers and nuts on the inside. Fine until yesterday morning. Rolled in on the bike and noticed something different and wrong with the XJ. Two rather large holes in the tailgate and no plate. They simply ripped it and the bolts out. After the first time I ran the plate in the rear window for a period but was getting hammered with a ticket a week. So that's out. I'm considering using a metal plate on the inside and outside with bolts thru it. As well as a thick metal plate frame. Any other ideas???

Sarge :mad:

Do you have some sort of custome plate or something? Why would someone be stealing your plate? Your idea listed above sounds like a good next step, hope you find something that works

No, no custom plates. Just that each plate has the registration stickers. The lowlifes used to just cut the corner off the plates to get the stickers but Missouri had us move the stickers into the middle of the plates. So now they steal the plate.

Sarge

weld two stripss of metal to the plate where it lines up to the bolts and bolt it down on all 4 through the strips of metal and use like security torx bolts or E12 bolts, that'll show them

rig up a claymore behind the license plate :firedevil

small pederson said:
rig up a claymore behind the license plate :firedevil

Use some rubber spacers, and make it like a electrical Fence, only an electrical plate!
Im serious thats what I would do, that and a cheap camera to catch it on video
:looney:

Lucas

I also used to live in a "not-so-nice" area. I would have parts ripped off my motorcycle and Chevelle on a regular basis. I moved...problem solved. I know that may be easier said than done.

rig a gulliotine behind the plate... chopped off fingers problems solved.

or you could do some JB weld some razor blades right behind the plate

or barbed wire all around the plate

I know how ya feel, I got jacked last month broke my glass and stole my DVD player and my book bag and a bunch of other stuff... I just need 2 seconds and have them meet my pal... mr baseball bat :explosion

I would opt for an alarm + shotgun. But that only does you good if they try and jack it from your driveway.

Sarge said:
No, no custom plates. Just that each plate has the registration stickers. The lowlifes used to just cut the corner off the plates to get the stickers but Missouri had us move the stickers into the middle of the plates. So now they steal the plate.

Sarge

Too bad your Governor and DMV doesn't get a clue ... instead of relocating the sticker on the plate they should've changed the specs on the pressure sensitive material used.

There is such a thing as a self destructive label ... you can't remove it without it falling apart.

bchulett said:
Too bad your Governor and DMV doesn't get a clue ... instead of relocating the sticker on the plate they should've changed the specs on the pressure sensitive material used.

There is such a thing as a self destructive label ... you can't remove it without it falling apart.

Well my tags are always sliced so they can't peel and use them. But when they steal the entire plate they can (and do) take the time to cut the piece out and use the tags that way.

Did some pondering today. Steel plate frame with the bolts welded to it. Sandwich the plate between it and the XJ. Metal bars on the inside instead of large washers. In order to remove the plates one would need to get inside the vehicle. Now I'll probably end up with a HUGE hole in the tailgate.

Any special cautions to weld bolts to diamond plate?

Would love to rig a claymore (as a former Marine of 13 years it appeals BIG time!) but my daughter will be getting the XJ so I sorta think that might be a bad idea! Been talking a move but considering the ex paid more of my money to her lawyer than I could to mine, I don't got no stenkin' money.

Ssarge

What are the governing rules on license plate covers?

Remount plate in stock location with all reinforcements (backing plate, collar/frame, one-way bolts, &c.) but add a large Lexan shield over the entire plate well, and run it into the liftgate. Reinforce the mounting, and hide all the fasteners inside. It will make it a pain to update the tag, but that's only once per year.

Why Lexan? Ever hit that stuff with a sledgehammer? 'Nuff said.

I favour the claymore idea myself, either the mine or the sword (I'm also a Scot...) but I seem to recall that the Imperial Government of Missouri frowns upon citizen self-defense.

If you make sure to enclose the plate illumination lamp behind the Lexan, you will ensure that it will be visible easily at night. The Lexan itself is nice and clear, so that should be no trouble. Why did you get docked for the plate in the rear window, anyhow?

5-90

5-90 said:
What are the governing rules on license plate covers?

Illegal but not pushed unless you anger the kind gentleman with the badge and gun.

5-90 said:
Remount plate in stock location with all reinforcements (backing plate, collar/frame, one-way bolts, &c.) but add a large Lexan shield over the entire plate well, and run it into the liftgate. Reinforce the mounting, and hide all the fasteners inside. It will make it a pain to update the tag, but that's only once per year.

How would one mount such a thing? The first thought I had was a slit in one side of the recessed area that the lexan slides in and out of. I like the idea plus think it would clean up the rear a bit. That area actually seems to cause some drag as you can watch air flow and swirl there.

5-90 said:
I favour the claymore idea myself, either the mine or the sword (I'm also a Scot...) but I seem to recall that the Imperial Government of Missouri frowns upon citizen self-defense.

If we're going medieval here then I like the battle hammer myself. As for MO and citizen self defense....we just passed the right to carry and it went right to court. A few folks have legally shot intruders in their homes and had some "serious fun" with the law enforcement officials there after.

5-90 said:
If you make sure to enclose the plate illumination lamp behind the Lexan, you will ensure that it will be visible easily at night. The Lexan itself is nice and clear, so that should be no trouble. Why did you get docked for the plate in the rear window, anyhow?

Would also help defeat any photo radar attempts. As for the plate in the rear window...evidently there is a regulation concerning the placement of the license plate, part of which is the height from the ground. The kind gents who pulled me over stated the plate must be no higher than 3.5 feet (if I remember correctly). I never did look it up tho. At the time I was a tattooed, long haired, full bearded, pierced, back patch wearing bike riding scum according to them. Since then I've cut my hair and shaved the beard (required by work, not by choice) and the once a week pull over no matter what vehicle I was in or on has ceased. No profiling going on there. My patch is a single piece patch which shows my membership in a national 501(c)3 org for the prevention of cruelty to children by the way.

Oh and geepers, I like the Canadian Doc, Para Ord myself but could get along real well with Smith and Wesson. .45 of course.

Sarge

As far as me goes, I'd sooner consult with COL Colt - my favourite is the M1911/1991 variation of the .45 ACP. Paras aren't bad, I just have short, stubby fingers.

For the Lexan, I'd probably use some steel or CRES channels down the sides, and set it up so I could drop the panel in place from the top and latch it down.

While you're at it, write your local assemblyman (or whatever they call them there - all your state reps) and tell them what's going on and that something needs to be done to allow you to secure your plates legally. Or perhaps a city variation as an initiator? I don't suppose you live down around East St. Louis, do you? I don't remember that being a very nice place...

5-90

The "Powers that Be" have caught on a little. Now when you renew your tags they give you a sheet with all your info on it and a seperate number that references you and your tags. Your're supposed to keep this and if your tags or stickers get swiped then you can bring them in for replacements.

As to the pressure sensitive materials used, the thiefs can outsmart that. They just tape over the tag with clear tape and peel it right off. You can cover it with Lexan, a frame, whatever and if they really want it they'll get it. I've seen plates still on the car with a chunk missing from the middle where they cut it out with tin snips.

I got tired of dealing with it when I lived near South Grand and moved to a better part of the city. If you can, move down to South City - anything West of Kingshighway. I lucked out on a house in the cheap section of St. Louis Hills a couple years back. It's all Cops and Firemen around me since the City has a residency requirement for them. Not the easiest thing to do but no problems in 4 yrs of living there.

What part are you in?? I could point you to a few Cop Bars near me to hang out in. I'm not a Cop, but it's worth a few beers to get friendly and know a few names to drop if you do get hassled.

- JP

JP_in_STL said:
>>>As to the pressure sensitive materials used, the thiefs can outsmart that. They just tape over the tag with clear tape and peel it right off.<<<
- JP

Outsmart? LOL. I guess our thiefs in California aren't dumb enough to just steal tags ... they take the whole vehicle with your kids in it---then ask for ransom.

FYI. There are industrial grade pressure sensitive materials (3M Corp.) that self destruct upon removal ... and that absolutely cannot be lifted with "clear tape". You can't even lift it with heat ... it simply self destructs.

The material isn't cheap ... and that's probably why they don't use it.

It's starting to go that way too. Car theft is getting to be really common in STL City and unfortunately the XJ is about as easy to get into as a Slutty Prom Date. We've had the same Black Cherokee stolen out of the lot at work (downtown) twice within a 2 weeks. Luckily mine hasn't been hit yet, and neither has the MJ. But the MJ isn't really pretty right now and it's a stick.

I think there's an advantage to having a standard tranny when it comes to car theft. Everything I drive is a stick, been easy enough to steal, and never had a problem. Even my '73 VW Thing with no top on it and super easy to hotwire :)

- JP

Back