• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel pump prob.

N.S. Laredo

NAXJA Forum User
Was plowing snow yesterday when the rig quit. Has been running great all along. Noticed that the fuel pump wasn't running. Checked for voltage at the plug near the tank, nothing. Searched on here, (since this is the only good place to go), and found info on the pump relay and the resistor. There is proper volts. at the relay but nothing at the resistor. ?? Also found reference to an enertia shut off switch which I didn't know was on these rigs. The posting said that this switch is behind the passengers kick panel, but I can't find it. Looked behind the kickpanels on both sides, still don't see it. Can anyone help? Any other ideas? It's -20 c. out and the fingers are getting awfully cold. Hate to take it to a garage but maybe best.
`90 Laredo 4.0 l. auto. all stock except the plow.

Hi all! Still needing help. Nobody has any ideas?
Rev Den, you posted back in March that XJ's have an inertial shut off switch behind the passengers kick panel on 1990. I can't find it. Is it easy to see with the panel removed? Mine is a 1990 Canadian model. Maybe the Can. rigs didn't have one? When checking for voltage at the resistor, do I have to have the key in the start position or just to on? Any help is appreciated!

Did the relay die? The relay has 4 contacts (maybe 5) on the back of it. There will be 12 volts to 2 of the contacts when it's supposed to be running. One will be powering the electromagnet that pulls the contacts together, and the other is the supply voltage that will run through the relay when the contacts have closed. If the relay isn't closing the circuit you will have 12 volts in but not out. If you can follow the diagram on the side of the relay you can jumper the relay slots to get the voltage through but remember to disconnect as soon as you shut the engine down. Just another thougt for process of elimination. Also I have a 90 with the 4.0 and have had all the interior trim removed to replace sheet metal and don't remember ever seeing an enertia switch like you described.

The relay was fine, I switched it with the one for the powerlocks. It worked fine and the one for the pump worked for the locks. I tried jumping across the terminals but that didn't work. Anyway, there is power at the two proper terminals. Can't remember the numbers for sure, there marked down out in the Jeep.
I called the service manager at the local dealer, known him for awhile and he's actually honest, he told me that there isn't any inertial switch on this rig. Guess that explains why I can't find it.
It's still storming to beat hell out, so I guess it's off to the garage. Don't mind working on my own, but not in this.
Gotta build a garage to keep my toys in!!
Tell you all what happens later.

I have a 1990 4 liter. I don't remeber there being a shut off switch on these vehicles but I don't have a wiring diagram in front of me. Check pump continuity, if your DVOM reads zero or infinity your pump is bad, pump must be disconnected to check continuity. Next replace the relay (cheap) and clean out the relay holder with electrical contact cleaner put a dab of dielectric grease on the relay and put the new on in. NOW THE IMPORTANT STEP. The fuel pump is grounded (if I remember correctly) thru the computer to a stud on the passenger side of the engine block near the back of the engine. Remove these wires and clean them along with the stud, if you want to get fussy you can check for volyage drop across the this ground. You can also by-pass the ballast resister by tapeing the wires together to to see if resister is bad however this is highly un-likely. As for no voltage at the pump the vehicle has to be running or at least cranking and to do this correctly you almost need a jumper harness.

Back