• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rock rails

mikeny

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone have a line on rockrails that are wide enough to stand on in order to load stuff on a roof rack?

I've seen mopar rails in passing, they look more show than go, of course rocker protection is as important to me as the need for a step-up.

TIA, I appreciate any advice.

go here
http://www.rocky-road.com/xjrockrail.html

i have a pair of these and they are great

cant say enough good things about em

if u have any questions ask me, i just installed the STEP RAILS a couple months ago---while i havent tried em out yet offroad, they do work great for stepping up to access the roof

and i feel the extended out STEP RAILS offer more protection for day to day use

here is an install article thats helpful

http://www.jeepin.com/features/steprails/index.shtml

CaptTrev
NAXJA MEmeber #255

Tomken also makes a set that are 4" wide and Off Road General Stores tubes are wide enough to get a foot on.

Later,
Lincoln

Kevin's Parts sliderz all also pretty darn wide and damn strong to boot! The width is designed for side impact protection & a place to pivot around a rock or stump, the benefit of having it serve as a step also is just a bonus.

Thanks, I appreciate all the quick responses. For me, it's difficult to get an idea how wide a given set of rails are, and your suggestions really help.

Much appreciated!

Mike

I have a set from olympic 4x4 that stick out just enough to stand on.

sliders3.jpg

Tomken Rails

Just put some on for the same reason. My rack is only going to be used on trips as it will not fit in the garage with it. Great step, stood up to the high lift, have not boulder tested them yet, but look and feel sturdy for the price.

Joe

I slid about 15 feet sideways and landed on my Tomken. No damage in spite of having 3 large adults and about 400 lbs of gear in my 97. My one passenger figured I wouldn't be able to open my door because the rocker would be that caved in by the felt force and noise of the impact.

i have the big 3" tubes from smittybilt... plenty of strength for stepping and though i havent dragged them over a rock yet i am confident that they will take plenty of abuse. smittybilt makes some heavy duty stuff so i have no doudts they will perform well... i think they ran about 250.00 or something..

K...here's my take...I'm on my roof ALL THETIME...loading and unloading surfboards and other gear.

Unless you're 6feet 9 inches the step on the rails won't really help you on the roof. The sill is a lil higher and easier to stand on. I use the sill, and the curved hump just outside of the rear seat.
The rails don't really offer much IMHO...

RJ

well my take on this is that I started to build me a set tonight! 2x4" rect.

Ghost said:
well my take on this is that I started to build me a set tonight! 2x4" rect.

cant wait to see em! good luck!

I have a set of Grizzly's, and they work great. They allow great space for standing, yet not to much for getting in the way. I have had 3 people standing on one side to counter weight my possible roll damage. And they look great too.

Casper

TOZOVR said:
K...here's my take...I'm on my roof ALL THETIME...loading and unloading surfboards and other gear.

Unless you're 6feet 9 inches the step on the rails won't really help you on the roof. The sill is a lil higher and easier to stand on. I use the sill, and the curved hump just outside of the rear seat.
The rails don't really offer much IMHO...

RJ
I'm about a foot shorter than that, so end up using my step rails to get up onto the rear tire to load stuff onto the roof.
Sometimes I'll even roll down to windows and stand in the window openings to get the big stuff up there, but that only on my short days. Don't laugh, I'm being serious here. I've really done that. :)

I'm 5' 9" and the rear tire is my friend as well!! Grab the roofrack and hoist myself up!

Back