• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hlp w/86 xj 2.8 gm;(

slanteyye

NAXJA Forum User
need help..got a free 86 xj w/2.8 ..i know its piece of crap..itseems to be in good shape but the previous owner dissconnected all vacuum,emmission,fuel etc...and threw them in abox unlabled..oh boy what amess..could someone pleeez get some pics, diagrams,handrawn w/crayon i dont care just so i can getthis freebie going ...and have some fun killin this 2.8

the only thing you really NEED for it to run is the vacuum advance for the distributor, hook it up to a vacuum nipple, and just plug all the other ones up.

CheapXJ said:
the only thing you really NEED for it to run is the vacuum advance for the distributor, hook it up to a vacuum nipple, and just plug all the other ones up.

Will the rochester function without all the junk on it hooked up? I didn't really study it too much as I was chucking it in the box and throwing it in the corner of the garage.
Mine pops through the exhaust if I dissconnect the EGR so you might wanna hook that up as well to get a little longer life out of the muffler, I don't think it's really needed though.
You'll need manifold Vac to the cans on the PS fender if you want the heater controls to work, and to the lines that go to the axle if it has the disco axle if you want 4wd..... but that's another can of worms you can deal with once you get it running :laugh:
Mike B.

heh.. ditch the early 2.8 engine and throw a camaro 3.4L in there with the TBI and ECU from a trooper.. then you'll have a reliable, fast truck :gee:

Back