• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LCA Axle Mount Modification

LBEXJ

NAXJA Member #721
Has anyone ever looked at or moved their LCA mounts up on the axle to gain any clearance? I was looking at an article in JP Mag. about TJ tips and they mentioned doing this on them. They said parts or kits are not available but Wagoner Machine Shop (loc?) does this "while maintaining correct geometry". I know I've beat the crap out of these brackets and I should re-enforce them. This looked interesting though. Any comments?

Les

lbexj said:
Has anyone ever looked at or moved their LCA mounts up on the axle to gain any clearance? I was looking at an article in JP Mag. about TJ tips and they mentioned doing this on them. They said parts or kits are not available but Wagoner Machine Shop (loc?) does this "while maintaining correct geometry". I know I've beat the crap out of these brackets and I should re-enforce them. This looked interesting though. Any comments?

Les
I thought about doing this myself. I have read where others have expierenced brake dive. Also I belive the TJ mod is for the rear not the front.

If you keep the LCA mount below the center of the axle you should be fine. Most peeps experience problems by mounting the LCA mount directly behind the axle, this removes the LCAs ability to control the rotation of the axle. It becomes a pivot.

In the article about this modification, they did not mention whether it was front or rear, but when I looked closer, you can tell it is. I did not realize the TJ was coil F&R.

The LCA's mounted below the axle would provide more rotational control of the axle. I was under the impression this was the only function of the UPA's. But, this would explain why brake dive would be a problem if the brackets were located higher. Maybe designers put it below the axle to split this "control" between the two (or four) arms. Stock arms and brackets are built pretty light duty, so this makes sense.

If this mod is done on the rear only (on the TJ), maybe it works because most of the forces on these arms involve pulling (?).

I'm no designer ... so me personally messing with the design really is not an option, that's for sure. But I do know it would be nice if these could be moved up rather than having to install guarding or re-enforcing the brackets. I'm just wondering if anyone else has considered or tried this.

Thanks for your comments ...

Les

lbexj said:
In the article about this modification, they did not mention whether it was front or rear, but when I looked closer, you can tell it is. I did not realize the TJ was coil F&R.

The LCA's mounted below the axle would provide more rotational control of the axle. I was under the impression this was the only function of the UPA's. But, this would explain why brake dive would be a problem if the brackets were located higher. Maybe designers put it below the axle to split this "control" between the two (or four) arms. Stock arms and brackets are built pretty light duty, so this makes sense.

If this mod is done on the rear only (on the TJ), maybe it works because most of the forces on these arms involve pulling (?).

I'm no designer ... so me personally messing with the design really is not an option, that's for sure. But I do know it would be nice if these could be moved up rather than having to install guarding or re-enforcing the brackets. I'm just wondering if anyone else has considered or tried this.

Thanks for your comments ...

Les

Check out Goatman's, http://fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/home?inv=383E99C5633A988 under Steering, axles and stuff. I love his set-up!!

Thanks XJZ ... Goatmans pics are doggone good! I did notice in his pics of his front Dana 44 axle that his axle mounts are located on the backside of the axle. It also appears (just by looking) that the mounting bolt is almost centered behind the axle and he has raised the UCA mounting bracket.

This sure does give him some more clearance under the axle. Almost as important maybe, it reduces the angle of the LCA. This looks like what I had envisioned when I started this thread. Maybe he would be so gracious as to comment on this for me, specifically how it works on the trail as well as road.

Thanks!

Les

Last edited:
Also note the frame side upper & lower mounts. Further back than stock, what Richard refers to as mid-arms. Nice!

I ripped the stock lca mounts off my axle last Oct in Moab. A temporary repair got me going again but this is what I'm going to do (very soon) for my permanant fix.

dsc03393.jpg

I also ripped the LCA mounts in Moab.

I spent the last week welding on a new set (from RE) with the ORGS miniskids, 2" extended swaybar mounts, and a complete new OAB trackbar setup.

Back