• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

light mount location ideas?

mark268

NAXJA Forum User
OK, I have a couple 6" offroad lights I am thinking of mounting on XJ. Anyone have any ideas where I should put them? I am just looking at my options and where others have mounted lights. I do not have an aftermarket bumper or roof rack.
Thanks for the ideas and pictures would help as well.

On top of the front bumper there are two plugs that you can take out and stick the lights in, thats what I did until I got an aftermarket bumper. I also remember seeing an XJ online with the lights mounted on the hood but it had to be reinforced so it wouldn't shake. I think thats pretty much all you can do without an aftermarket bumper or lightbar/roofrack.

Dean

Thats what I was affraid of. I know what holes you are talking about in the bumper, my lights are to thick and back is against the grill. They will not sit properly, always angle down.

I thought about the hood as well but I don't want to reinforce it to secure them and I am planning on making a roof rack and don't want hole in the hood.

Oh well, It was worth a shot asking, thanks

if your lights are hitting the grill, then why not just get a couple peices of steel and make brackets that stick out just far enough past the bumper to put the lights on and bolt the brackets to those hoes in the bumper.

i just saw something in a magazine the other day.. not sure who makes it or what its called (lots of help right?) it is a light mount bar that is basically a front lic plate frame with wings/struts that curve up and out from the top corners to mount lights on.... like horns.. thinkin i might do that until i get a new bumper.. anyone else see these things?? i'm thinkin they may be billet aluminum..
mike

CARR makes those lisence plate things your talking about. You can probably get them at JC Whitney or something like that. I think they were about $70.

I had 6 on my old Cherokee in total, and will put them on my newer XJ across the top drilled into the roof rack - I had 4 of them on the front and 2 facing the back, flooded light like daytime, if you only have 2 them I would do the front bumper thing, or if not just mount one on each side of the windshield on mounts.

You can always add more in the future if you wanted to

Jeff

Cut holes in your grill where the lights would go. I would worry about mounting them beside the windshield if you ever drive through brush. They may get torn off. I don't know what year jeep you have but if it's the new body style there is a plug on the top of the B pillar that you can use to run wire to the inside or you can run wires down the A pillar if you don't want to drill holes on your roof.

You can drill holes on the angled part of the bumper -- just in front of the existing holes. That should give you anther inch or so.
Or, if wanna be a poseur like me, you can recess them into the bumper....see my avatar.

On my XJ i have 2 in the stock bumper. The hole is slightly smaller than 1/2" the result of chrome/paint. I just used a cordles drill and a 1/2" drill bit from wal-mart to make the holes a little bigger. As for the grill i just remover a small section behind the lights. You cant even see the holes in the grill. I also have my stock roof rack drilled to hold 4 lights. The best was to do this is to remover the rack and use a drill press with a 1/2" bit. After I drilled the holes i remounted the rack as far foward as possable. Most off-road light have 1/2" mounting post.

Spc. Ryan Stauffer US ARMY Camp JC Iraq

Back