• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shop Press?

Gary E said:
This is the one I have, and I think Andy has the same model.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=32879

I don't know if the 12 ton model would be good enough or not. But I am happy with this one.

Or a handy guy such as yourself could probably make one.
I thought about making one, I found a place that had some 6" channel really cheap, like a dollar a foot. I rather spend a couple extra bucks than try to put it all together. Ya know I have all those VP duties to worry about. ;)

Exactly. Has anyone made one? i was thinking about making one myself. My only problem would be what to do about having the press pull. YOu see i you could use a bottle nose jack or anyother hydralic lift to push bearings on but how would you position it to take bearing off? Is there any write up on how to make one?

Exactly. Has anyone made one? i was thinking about making one myself. My only problem would be what to do about having the press pull. YOu see i you could use a bottle nose jack or anyother hydralic lift to push bearings on but how would you position it to take bearing off? Is there any write up on how to make one?

You use a bearing puller to pull bearings.

The HF one is so cheap, on sale, I can't imagine trying to fab one and have it all come out straight and square.

Plus, how would you ever duplicate that cool orange paint job?

Go Chinese or go home.

CRASH

No. I was watching the 20 ton unit flex while pressing tubes out of a D-44 knuckle.

Not pretty.

20 ton is minimum.

CRASH

12 ton is fine for what you say you want to do. I've used mine for the same thing. Just don't try bending 1/4" plate, the 1/4" doesn't bend first. ;)

32879.gif

I got this 20 TON shop press (w/2 year warrenty) from Harbor Freight... Yes harbor freight... alot of people bag on harbor freight, but this press that I bought for 160.00 has paid for itself 10 fold... Ive been using it well over a year with no problems, it has done everything and anything I wanted it to do. and when and if it ever brakes, I go to HF, walkin with a broken one, walk out with a new one... party1:

Yep Have to agree with KarmirXJ Harbor Freight has some good stuff, but some is indeed crap. I use to work in there main warehouse in Camarillo seveal years ago, in Parts & air tools, where we had every little washer & spring for every item. We delt with all the returns also, & saw what broke, & what was used 1x or not at all, because people couldn't figure out how to put it together, like the shop press. The press's are good to go, the only problem you'll ever have, is the jack seals, as they leak sometimes, but they do have rebuild kits. You would be fine with a 12ton, but you can get a 20ton on sale for $50 more, so why not . $.02 Oh yeah, they use to sell a A frame type that looked like ^ on the top, stay away from it, it will shift in every direction under load :shocked:, an accident waiting to happen. Get the style in the pic above in KarmirXJ post.

Rob

Last edited:
Back