• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission fluid question

MinotJeep

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the process of changing all the fluids on a cherokee I just bought used. I have a 5-speed manual with the AX-15 transmission. I've done a bit of searching and understand that I need to put in GL-3, and not GL-5. There also seemed to be a bit of controversy over what, if any, brand of fluid will work besides the $15 dollar dealer stuff. Before I go and spend $60 dollars at the dealer, is there anything else that anyone would feel comfortable putting in anything besides the pricey dealer stuff?
Thanks,
Matt

well, there were reports of people using the gl3/gl5, gl4 and redline fluids.... I will tell you that for as long as I have been following the controversy (about 4+ years now LOL) for every person saying that they run a particular alternate fluid successfully, I come across at least one report of a tranny gone bad or acting funky with that particular fluid in use.... For all the money that you spend on the tranny, spend the $15 per quart, as the tranny rebuild is going to cost you MUCH more. Look at it this way: how often do you change your tranny fluid? rather rare.. so the ammortized cost is not that big.

btw.. in regards of which fluids others use, run a search on OEM forum, as that topic has been discussed maaaaaany times.

Yes this has been discussed many times in this Forum. I still stand by what i use- $2.29/qt GL3-5 from Auto Zone. Because the required designation is contained in the specs is save to use. Have used this in the AX-15 in my '98 and all seems well. I do like to change it often, like every 30k miles and keep the magnetic drain plug clean.

This subject just keeps coming up! And it always makes me wonder...My 5sp ('91 4.0) had a factory-installed engine rebuild put in 25k miles ago. At that time they put fresh 80/90 in my trans and I know thats the last time it was done. Is that the same as GL-3? Or did they screw up then? Ive read all the posts on this. Is this stuff eating my synchros? Cause its starting to shift poorly. Beating a dead horse I know, but...?

80/90 doesn't mean much... if they did it right, they poured it out of a container that says AX15 right on it..... and your receipt should have a part number that corresponds to it. IIRC there is an article out on a net written by a guy how he went through 2 tranny rebuilds (under warranty) and finally the place that did them got tired of it, and sent the last tranny with the tag saying: use GL3 only..... Anyways..... I think this dead horse just keeled over and died, but it must be related to a cat as I know it will come back alive in a month or two :D

Back