• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

93 XJ Road manners

tireroastin93XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone, just registered today. I have a stock 93 XJ that rides extremely rough. I know it's a Jeep, but I've driven others that ride like a caddy compared to mine. It has new shocks, cheapies but new, the front end alignment is good and it has new tires. It jerks from side to side when you hit bumps and if you are going highway speeds and hit some bumps, it acts like it wants to bounce off the road sideways. The steering doesn't jerk around, it's just the vehicle that does. It just seems like if you aren't on a perfectly smooth road, you constantly sway side to side in the seats. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm thinking the springs may need to be replaced, but if I'm going to do that, I want to do a 3" lift. I'd appreciate and suggestions on what to check out or if anyone else has this problem. Thanks, and I'm looking forward to reading all the posts!!
Mike

Matthew Currie said:
Check your front sway bar bushings and links, and also the track rod (or as the French foppishly call it, the Panhard rod :) ) and make sure your tires aren't overinflated.
My tires are 235/70/15's that are inflated to 35 psi. The lower the air the worse it does it. It's not just the front end , the entire vehicle does it, including the rear, it's like the whole thing wants to bounce sideways. I don't understand it. You think the steering stabilizer might need replacing? Thanks for the tip, I will check out the bushings and links tomorrow. Thanks again!
Mike

Back