• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

VIN numbers and where are they located??

xjfanatc

NAXJA Forum User
I realize that the vin numbers are on the door and the dash, but I always thought that it was stamped into the "frame" (unibody) somewhere. Also I beleive it might be on the door as well but does anyone know for sure if and where the number is at on the unibody??? Any help would be great thanks

Um, why do you want to know?

Anyhow, I've not seen it stamped into the frame anywhere (yet - but I've got a resto pending...) but I've seen it on the dashboard tag, the door pillar, and it can also be found on a sheet tag rivetted to the front crossmember or the firewall most times - and that tag is usually painted body colour so it won't stick out so bad...

5-90

Well I am looking into buying an 89 xj limited for 400 bucks it has been wrecked but the price is awefully low so I wanted the locations of the numbers before I get stuck with stolen property. That would not be pretty. Thanks for the input

$400 doesn't sound low for an '89 that's been wrecked. It sounds too high, in fact.

According to the general manager at my dealership, the VIN is marked in some way on about a dozen major body panels, but in concealed locations. He said he doesn't know where they are but the DMV inspectors do.

www.edmunds.com

i'm trying to remember now, but i came across my VIN on my 87 when i was under the truck in the front... maybe under the radiator support.. i also found it stamped into the floor or sidewall panel in the rear of my 99 when i was doing some trailer wiring....
mike

Back