• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Currie Steering

xjaddiction

NAXJA Member #666
I've had the chance to test out the Currie steering set-up, and the results... I LOVE IT!!!!

I've been able to flex and come home still all alligned. Previously flexing like this;

fa50bd9e.jpg

caused allignment problems, not to mention I now have increased flex with no steering bind. I also feel alot safer with the beefy tie-rod and drag-link.

Greddy

P.S. Those are 35's I'm flexin' there!!

Good deal, Gred. Looks sharp. :) Glad you like it as much as I do.

xjaddiction said:
I've had the chance to test out the Currie steering set-up, and the results... I LOVE IT!!!!

I've been able to flex and come home still all alligned. Previously flexing like this;

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid93/p0e8141d8098b6825dd76beab478a04f3/fa50bd9e.jpg

caused allignment problems, not to mention I now have increased flex with no steering bind. I also feel alot safer with the beefy tie-rod and drag-link.

Greddy

P.S. Those are 35's I'm flexin' there!!

Greddy ... What set up did you get from Currie? The CE-9701 System? Let me know cause improving the steering on my rig is in the plan here soon.

Thanks ......

Les

it's the complete steering drag link, tie rod and their tre's for xj. i don't know the number, but i'll find out. i've already smacked the tie rod hard enough that the stock unit would have been toast. The Currie set-up is much stronger and allows for more movement than the stock set-up did. I was using the stock steering as the limiting factor for suspension travel. That's definately not good. I have about 7"s of lift. The on-road feel is much better, tighter than the stock.

Greddy

Let's see some up-close pictures of the parts.

its good to hear some feedback about this. i was going to post to see if anyone had experience with it, and if not, give my own reveiw in a couple of weeks.
-xjaddiction did you install? or shop?
-thx
-g

I had a shop install it, they alligned it too. not hard to install though. i didn't have time to do it, and my old set-up was shot.

tieRodSystem.jpg

Thx, seen that one :) Any close-ups of the parts on the Jeep? I just want to see how the angles look on everything with it installed if you've got them.

Thanks Greddy ... If I recognize the pic right, it's the one I was looking at. I appreciate ya taking the time to post the details.

Les

PS: It was about $400?

This is a pic of my setup with a 6" lift. The angles aren't that great, but I have no bump steer. I love the kit, it went on easily, but I had a few minor problems. The first problem I had was the grease fitting on the back of the tie-rod end where it attaches to the drag link. The fitting sticks straight out the back and hits the track bar mount. I just greased the joint well, removed the grease fitting and installed a 1/4-20 x 1/4 set screw in place of the fitting. The other problem was with the tie-rod hitting the sway bar end tab on the axle. I had to raise just the passenger side tab and used the adjuster on my JKS disconnect to make up the difference in height from side to side. This pic was taken right after installing my new kit, but before modifying my sway bar tab.

Bryan

curriesteering.jpg

I moved my axle forward 1". I had to move the sway bar uni-body mounts up a hole. I haven't had any clearance issues with the Currie steering. The grease fitting I lube with a slip on angle fitting (Autozone). I have about 7"s of lift.

Greddy

xjaddiction said:
I moved my axle forward 1". I had to move the sway bar uni-body mounts up a hole. I haven't had any clearance issues with the Currie steering. The grease fitting I lube with a slip on angle fitting (Autozone). I have about 7"s of lift.

Greddy

I didn't move my axle so I didn't have to move anything. ;) Of course, if I ran a front sway it wouldn't get in the way of it anyhow. Did you use a different pitman arm? I've got a ZJ or whatever one is longer on mine and it makes the draglink end match right up to the RE trackbar (same one). Gee, watch out though...I've heard from a couple of people unfamiliar with this setup that it will hinder your flex. ;)

Still a little sceptical here, since the Currie setup helps reduce bind at the pitman arm at 6"+ lift, what has been done to reduce bind at the pass side knuckle, where mine always seemed to bind? To me this is a bigger issue than the pitman area, especially if running a ZJ arm. This is where all XJ's with stock steering experience steering bind, so has Currie added a bend to the pass side draglink end to improve the angle/reduce the bind potential?
If this is the "hot fix" for all XJ'ers with 6"+ lift, then all binding areas should be addressed, not just some. Feedback welcome.

XJEEPER said:
This is where all XJ's with stock steering experience steering bind, so has Currie added a bend to the pass side draglink end to improve the angle/reduce the bind potential?

Yes. (...and I keep posting this in hopes that when people use the SEARCH function someday they'll find a TON of these!) :)

currieandstock02.jpg

...and for giggles:

currieandstock04.jpg

I'm using an RE adj tracbar with drop bracket, Tereflex adj upper and lower CA's, RE CA drop brackets, and a ZJ pitman with the Currie steering. I also have barpin eliminator kit on the shocks. This gives me plenty of flex. So much that after the run I took above pic on, I bent the down tube(from the header to flange) on the exaust enough to loosen the flange bolts. With that much flex, the front d-shaft hits the exhaust. Prior to the Currie set-up (I've had all the other stuff for a year or more), I didn't flex enough to bend the exhaust.

Greddy

Last edited:
Back