• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire balance without external weights.....

ryurabbit

NAXJA Member #611
Has anyone found a way besides putting BB's in your tire to balance the tire without adding weight to the outside?

TIA

Rabbit

What do you mean by adding weight to the outside? Do you mean the crimp on weights that go on the edge of the rim?
I have mine ballanced by the stick on weights that go inside the rim.

Jes

Search around on POR (www.pirtate4x4.com) and you will find tons of posts on BB's, Golf balls (usually in LARGE SWAMPERS), and 50-50 antifreeze mix, the general consensus seems to be that most are very satisfied with the results (BB's being most common) I willl probably try these being as I am a cheap @$$ and mount/dismount my own tires.

Ok I have the stick on weights but I keep tearing them off and the balance keeps going out even when the weights stay on! Plus the tires need like 7oz!

Rabbit

How do you tear off the stick on weights?
It is annoying to have to reballance your wheels all the time, thankfully I got lifetime ballancing with my tires. I've had them reballanced at least five times this year and I mark them after reballancing. My rims spin in the tires even on the street!

Jes

ok, ive heard about these methods, but will someone explain it to me? why would you put BB's inside the tire? do they stay in there? im confused.....
Ive never seen/known anyone who balances their own wheels before....thats why im asking.

I am a cheap @$$ and mount/dismount my own tires.
Have you guys consider taking your tires and wheels to Wal-mart? They only charge $3.50 per tire to mount.
I've and known alot of folks that take their 40" TSL there to have them mounted and no question asked.
I find it hopeless to have the shops attempting any sort of mounting tires that are 35" or larger. I just run my 36's unbalance and haven't experience any issues.

Most tire shops will balance the rims using just stick on weights. They go on the inside of the wheel and shouldn't fall off. How ever the last place I had mine done at refused to do only the stick on weights cause the tires are not really "true" balanced. So they used the crimped weight and the sticky ones. I think the crimped ones stayed on maybe 2 weeks.

They only charge $3.50 per tire to mount

Wow, I have never checked into it at Wally world, I have 4 tire places around me here, and if you want tires mounted/ballanced without purchasing anything from them, they are asking $10-$15 per tire, what a rip :mad: (should have seen what they wanted to mount my motorcycle tire :scared: )So I have just learned to do things myself! However 3.50per is a mighty fine price :)

Ok I just looked at centramtics website and POR's site and I think I will go with the BB's. Makes sense to me! Thanx for all who posted!

beware that the bb's will ruin the inside liner of the tire. I did this for a whil and when I dismounted the tires there were rubber "bbs" inside the tires as well. I have a friend who is running golf balls in his swampers and likes it but he hasn't broke them down to see if they are doing any damage.

Equal is great for a daily driven rig that sees lots of miles, but if you don't drive lots of miles or only a day or 2 a week you won't like it. It will all settle and make things shake so bad you'll think you are in an earthquake. The stuff was made for over the road tractor trailers who are constantly on the move, when used in motorhomes or other infrequently used trucks it causes major problems. (Think bias ply flat spots x10 that take 200 miles or so to clear up)
HTH,
Mike B

Last edited:
bluexj89 said:
beware that the bb's will ruin the inside liner of the tire. I did this for a whil and when I dismounted the tires there were rubber "bbs" inside the tires as well. I have a friend who is running golf balls in his swampers and likes it but he hasn't broke them down to see if they are doing any damage.

I found the same rubber bbs in my tires, but I never ran anything inside of them. I suppose little bits of rubber rolled off when offroading? What about BBs in smaller tires? Like 31s?

Some tech info on balancing from interco's site FYI - http://www.intercotire.com/html/mounting.htm Never have seen the "balancing patches" they mention but that might be the ticket.... Ask maybe at the tire service center at a local truck stop, they might have them, though those guys are usually big fans of Equal.
Mike B.

Back