• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gettin gears: what else should be done inside?

jjvande

NAXJA Forum User
so im going to have 4.10s put in the front axle this next week...The jeep has 3.73s, so i shouldnt need a new carrier., right?

do i just need to have new gears put in, or is there anything else i should have done at the same time?

Did anyone here in Tuscon :sunshine: find a good place to get stuff done locally?

Thanks

btw, the axle is out of an '84 and it probibly has about 200,000 miles on it, but no problems as of yet. :wierd:

Just be sure to use good replacement seals for the pinion and axleshafts.

AARON

jjvande said:
so im going to have 4.10s put in the front axle this next week...The jeep has 3.73s,
Why are you making this change? There is less than 10% difference between 4.10 and 3.73 gearing.

If you are trying to improve you RPM's, it will change very little (for example, if you are currently finding 1700 RPM to be too low, this change will only increase RPM's to 1868). If you are fitting new tires, and your XJ came with 27's the change to 4.10's will only allow you to fit tires that are 29.7 inches and retain stock RPM's (and this doesn't account for the apparent loss of power experienced due to the extra weight of larger tires).

If you are matching gears to a new axle you just got, it makes sense, but otherwise it just seems like a lot of trouble/money for little real change.

Good point above.
Hell, If your gonna re-gear, might as well through in something to boost the traction while your in there (locker).

I felt a big difference between 3.73s and 4.10s in my Jeep. May be its because I have a manual tranny? All I know is that with 32s and the 4.10s, racing stoplight to stoplight I own my moms BMW 325is with manual tranny.

AARON

Thanks for the heads up.

The jeep is running 31"s with a 5-speed, and the 3.73:1 gearing was just fine for what i do. 33"s are in the future, so the gears at 4.10:1 should get me just under a 10% increase in RPM...the tires give me a 6.4% decrease in RPM. so the net result shoud be better than it is now.

Btw, anyone know if it will take a lot of trimming to run a 33x10.5" BFG with about 5" of lift?, 6" in the rear...? on stock wheels.

Thanks

If you are going to 33's...go for 4.56's or 4.88's the overdrive 5th gear will let it work fine. Add a locker or at least a LS...replace all the bearings...and new u-joints while you are in there....and be sure to break the gears in properly..

There is more to consider than just the increased circumference. You should also be aware that 33s are much heavier than stock tires, and suck performance down accordingly.

I ran 31s with 4.10 gears and a 5 speed for 3 years, and just put 33s on in September. I'm already thinking about regearing to 4.56s.

This would be the time to add a traction aiding diff. Also, use new bearings at the carrier, as well as seals.

Wait a minute...... you said you're regearing the front? The rear WILL have matching gears, right?

MudDawg said:
If you are going to 33's...go for 4.56's or 4.88's the overdrive 5th gear will let it work fine.
I plan on going to 35's by spring (the tires are mounted on wheels and are in storage), so I regeared to 4.88's with Detroit Locker/Lockright (rear/front) but am still running the 31's with a 5-speed. It works perfectly with 65 MPH being just over 2700 RPM, 1st gear being a nice granny gear for off-highway, and the normal city/highway gears being 2nd through 5th - and that's going from the stock 3.07 gearing.

Even going from 3.07's, I couldn't imagine being happy with only 4.10's. Just my actual experience, YMMV. :)

Thanks for the advice....i'd go for the 4.56:1, but i already got the rear D44 with 4.10s in it.....so thats the limiting factor here.

The jeep sees 95% of its time on the streets and the occasional light romping in the desert. No huge rocks, lots of sand, speed and other stuff.

maby ill be kicking myself in the a$$ later on when it's no longer my DD, but then again...maby a 4:1 in the TC will find its way under the tree next christmas.:laugh3:

Thanks again!

-J

jjvande said:
Did anyone here in Tuscon :sunshine: find a good place to get stuff done locally?
:wierd:

Go with Kiatek (327-7313), they were great. I'm running 4.10's with 31's in my 5-speed now and it's great around town and off-road, but sucks on the highway since I like to go 75-85. At 85 I'm running a little under 3100rpm's and I have more vibrations since everything is spinning faster. The 4.10's should be just right once I get the 33's on, and then I'll get the Tera 4:1 for the TC later.

what width 33"s are you going for? what brand..?

yea i know what you mean about spinning faster....had vibes at 80-85, now theyre in the 70s. so i can stand to drive a little slower, for now.

anyone have pics with 33X10.5" tires?

Thanks

Last edited:
Back