• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bilstein or Monroe Reflex?

Bilstein or Monroe Reflex??

• Bilstein

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Monroe Reflex

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Other

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pancake

NAXJA Forum User
Ok folks...I already searched and have narrowed my choice down to these two. The Bilstein's are ~$90 more for the set, but I have always heard good things about them. I have read (especially from Eagle) good things about Monroe.

Type of driving is mostly city / highway type stuff with some off road use ~1 time each month...nothing too hardcore. No lift on my '98 Jeep and I don't currently tow...but I would like to be prepared to tow once in a while. I like the ride firm, but not harsh. I like controlled and not bouncy. OEM are pretty good for me so far, but a little firmer would be good.

Thanks folks!!! :)

I hope this is in the right forum...my Jeep is 100% stock so I felt it was the right place. :angel:

If you recommend something else...please post what you think are good. I'm open to all opinions. :)

I did my apprenticeship at Raybestos (back before most of you where born), we also were a major supplier of Monroe shocks. My knowledge is a little dated. But I was never impressed with the Monroe shock, seemed more hype than, quality. Had a whole lot of guarantee claims. But maybe they´ve gotten better.
Had good luck with Gabriel, noticed for awhile, Sears shocks had the exact same stamping and number as Gabriel, but some cheaper. Worth a look, it may still be so.
Had a set of Bilstien gas shocks, on my pick up, forever (like 15 years). Still hold gas, don´t leak, work well and the paint is still there (no rust). Work/farm truck 4X, supension takes a real beating, heavy loads and trailer, on farm roads. I´m on my third tranny and still have the same Bilsteins.
Have a set of Koni´s on my XJ, seem to be, a good compromise between sport and comfort. Work better than the Rancho 5000, I had on the last XJ.

Old Man Emu

Teron

I put Monroe Reflex on the wife's WJ. Slight seat-of-pants improvement in roll control and bounce. Not bad for the price.
The shocks that improved handling the most on the XJ when it was stock were the Edelbrock's IAS, then I lifted the beast and ruined the ride, not too mention broke one of the rear shocks.

Fred

I've also got Old Man Emu shocks. Before, the truck had Ranchos. I put the Emus on at the same time as the lift, so I don't know how much of an effect the shocks had, but it does feel really nice now. Firm, but not really harsh. I haven't gotten it off road yet, though. OME is kinda expensive, though, at least for me.
When I got my shocks, I got ZJ rears, they're supposed to be a little longer I think, and more travel. They did not come with bar pins for the rear. It was not an issue for me, with an MJ, but for an XJ, and a stock one at that, you may need to get the correct XJ shocks.

Last edited:
Back